• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lactid Acid

Traymond

So im trying to figure out a way for my students to work out without having so much lactid acid escaping from their muscles, do you know of any supplements that can help them with this?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say that potassium helps with sore muscles. So, banannas and potatoes are a good source, and I'm sure you can get some pills that supplement it.

On a side note, I have heard the arguement that lactic acid build up is more myth than reality. Can anyone add some research to that?

Besides bananas having potassium, Gatorade & other mineral enhanced sports drinks replenishes similar minerals although fresh fruit is a much healthier choice.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

So their is nothing that can be taken to reduce the amount of lactid acid that is released, before it is released.?

Not to my knowledge, which admittedly, is somewhat hazy. Exercise Phys was a long time ago.

The big thing you can do to limit the effects of lactic acid build up is train specifically on short duration energy systems. Or high intensity training broken by rest periods (rounds so to speak).

This kind of trining will enhance those systems and make the body function better during, and despite of, the build up. But there is no defeating it entirely.

Good stretching and a cool down afterward will limit it's continued effects into the next training cycle, but that's about it.

On a side note, I have heard the arguement that lactic acid build up is more myth than reality. Can anyone add some research to that?

I think you may be right with this. Lactic acid isn't build up but Lactate is and I don't think that actually causes what most people associate with lactic acid build up: sore muscles, fatigue etc. Lactic acid is also possibly a further energy source to the body:

http://www.virtualmag.co.uk/index.cfm?client_id=79&fuseaction=Magazine.ShowArticle&article_id=81&ID=173

Improved fitness, cardio, would help with the problems associated with the acid as it lengthens the time before they'd start respiring anerobically. Making sure you are properly hydrated and have a decent salt and electrolyte intake will also help (Lucozade Sport, Gatorade, Powerade etc.).

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

What I noticed about it, is the more you work out, the less it seems to bother you, does this seem accurate to any of you?