• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it inappropriate to question how a grading was conducted?

I think Rateh might be close. Not all testing go the same, and not all instructors think alike. So, it could be fallout from that. After all, you still passed, so that is something to look at positively.

As for how the testing was conducted, keep in mind that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Different instructors have different approaches.

I would ask questions, if you have concerns. Like all the others have said, approach tactfully, but don't be surprised if you get outright rebuffed. Sometimes, instructors will feel that they don't have to justify their choices from testings to students. Hopefully, your instructor is a bit more open-minded than this, though.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bushido and all other advice...I will add this which is congrats on getting your orange belt, as said something to be positive about. As mentioned i don't think there would be anything wrong with asking but in a diplomatic way.

:karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I think Rateh might be close. Not all testing go the same, and not all instructors think alike. So, it could be fallout from that. After all, you still passed, so that is something to look at positively.

As for how the testing was conducted, keep in mind that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Different instructors have different approaches.

I would ask questions, if you have concerns. Like all the others have said, approach tactfully, but don't be surprised if you get outright rebuffed. Sometimes, instructors will feel that they don't have to justify their choices from testings to students. Hopefully, your instructor is a bit more open-minded than this, though.

I agree here with Bushido_man. I personly would not question my instructor (he would knock me upside head and he would say what are you doing questioning my judgement over you ). Oh do not get me wrong I have wanted to many times. :brow:

Be glad you passed your belt test that is an accomplishment. :karate:

In class last night before I had a chance to ask him, Shihan addressed the class saying how he was surprised that more people didn't get tips. Because it was such a large grading he wasn't able to personally oversee every aspect and he said that he was going to review it and make sure it was done properly. We were lucky that because it was our 15th anniversary and such a huge event we had at least 3 video cameras filming the whole time! He also said how he's awarded people tips after the grading purely based on the fact that he has seen them preform in class and know that they definitely deserve the extra recognition.

Shihan addressed the class saying how he was surprised that more people didn't get tips. Because it was such a large grading he wasn't able to personally oversee every aspect and he said that he was going to review it and make sure it was done properly.

Well, this shows his promotion to Shihan is one recognition of how sharp he is. He recognized the size of the tested group (100+) and the fact that everyone's talents couldn't be recognized as individually special as they would likely have been with a regular-sized one. He knows his students, that's for sure.

You've got a gem, here, Ozpunker.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Great, it worked itself out. Again congratulations to you and your instructor.

I have been in Martial Arts for quite awhile. I wanted to share this piece of information that my instructor shared with me once. Honestly, I don't know why he shared it with me. I hadn't questioned anything, but think someone must have - anyways it has stuck with me. He told me that a good instructor sees everything going on with his students and his dojo. He wont always give praise, but will always give encouragement, advice, and discipline. He will never accept questioning about personal rank from a student unless it is based on what can I do to get better. He said he will advance a students rank when he feels they are ready and never before. A rank is earned and never given.

I think it is good advice. I just go to class and do my best and never expect to ge given a rank. I will get it when I get it. I just love being there.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I have been in Martial Arts for quite awhile. I wanted to share this piece of information that my instructor shared with me once. Honestly, I don't know why he shared it with me. I hadn't questioned anything, but think someone must have - anyways it has stuck with me. He told me that a good instructor sees everything going on with his students and his dojo. He wont always give praise, but will always give encouragement, advice, and discipline. He will never accept questioning about personal rank from a student unless it is based on what can I do to get better. He said he will advance a students rank when he feels they are ready and never before. A rank is earned and never given.

I think it is good advice. I just go to class and do my best and never expect to ge given a rank. I will get it when I get it. I just love being there.

I have been given the same advice from my instructors also and it is very good advice. And I think doing your best is all your instructors ask for.

I have been given the same advice from my instructors also and it is very good advice. And I think doing your best is all your instructors ask for.

I agree. That's good advise.

He also said how he's awarded people tips after the grading purely based on the fact that he has seen them preform in class and know that they definitely deserve the extra recognition.

I think that this goes a long way for a lot of instructors. After all, testing usually ends up being a formality more than anything. Sure, they may work your butt of at testing, and push you physically and mentally, but the preparation happens in class, and he knows if you were ready or not.

Just out of curiosity, are the awarding of the "tips" something that is going to show up on an official certificate?

He also said how he's awarded people tips after the grading purely based on the fact that he has seen them preform in class and know that they definitely deserve the extra recognition.

I think that this goes a long way for a lot of instructors. After all, testing usually ends up being a formality more than anything. Sure, they may work your butt of at testing, and push you physically and mentally, but the preparation happens in class, and he knows if you were ready or not.

Just out of curiosity, are the awarding of the "tips" something that is going to show up on an official certificate?

Yes it is. We had our presentation night last night where we were presented with our belt certificates as well as other awards and such. I didn't end up addressing Shihan about this matter but last night I was officially awarded with tips along with a few others who missed out on the day of the grading. He also said that from now on, no tips will be awarded at gradings, He (or the head instructor at each dojo) is the only one to award them from now on. I was also pleasantly surprised to be awarded with a 'most improved' medal.

I can't remember if I have said this already but thanks for your advice everyone.