• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the wait time is good. Otherwise, you would just have people buying rank. Use the time to learn, improve, and fine tune all of your skills. There should be noticable improvements between your dan gradings. For instance is your sidekick stronger? faster? steadier? anything about it show you have honed that skill? These are little things that time improves, and although you may seem like you are impatient and itching to show what you know, use the time wisely. When I took my 4th degree test, afterwards one of the visiting instructors said that all he looked for was the increased skill level between me and the people testing for 1st and 2nd. He said he saw it in the power and intensity I portrayed through the entire test. He said that during the free style self defense section, I was the only one who just reacted no matter what was thrown at me and that is what years of training does for you. So my advice to you is just keep training, don't worry about the time between gradings, just keep working to improve yourself.

Until you take the risk of getting hurt, you can't heal.

Hmm think of it this way. If you wait longer, you will be better prepared, if you believe you are ready now, just wait till how you will feel in the months to come and your experience will grow. Then you will for sure pass. The timing between the belts, shows what respect and loyalty and dedication you have for your art.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 2 months later...

Its great to reach a certain rank. I can certainly identify with you on being ready to move on. If you are ready and are certain of it what difference does it make if you are or are not recognized as a 2nd dan. In my opinion its the skill level that tells all. You may be a 2nd dan in skill but not yet officially recognized. Your Instructor knows best. Always continue to train.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys have you ever been in this state of mind where you are itching to take a grade. When you feel you are ready but are not allowed because of rules and regulations? I'm already Shodan which i passed in May 2007. Our rules state it has to be 2 years minimum before i can take my Nidan. So of course i have to wait till May next year or even longer depending on when the gradings are set for.

There is a Dan grading on Sunday, two of our club members are taking their 2nd Dans, one of them being just 12! The other being a senior adult. I'm not saying the younger one doesn't deserve it because she does, she is great at karate and will have to wait until she is 21 before she can take her 3rd Dan.

I think my main problem is jelousy, as well as wanting my sensei to notice me. I have been working really hard just lately and i know i would pass if i was allowed to grade. I have even been giving up a few hours on a saturday afternoon to help teach the kids.

Im just worried that my Sensei won't notice me when the time does come for my grading. I'm not asking for advice as such i just wanted to sound off really and was wondering if any of you guys ever get this frustrating feeling of needing to move on and progress!

Thanks for listening. :karate:

It's tough sometimes but just take it in stride. I miss testing opportunities frequently due to work or military requirements, so I often see guys I was beating up as yellow belts now wearing greens and above. For me though, as long as I see my skills improving, I'm happy.

Well it seems my wish has come true! And now im scared stiff :lol: My Sensei has set a dan grading for 31st may this year and has said i can go for it...now it has come along i am really worried...i've gone from being eager and excited to nervous and aprehensive. :(

I am putting in 3 sessions a week now, as well as teaching and judging when im needed...im tired but i know it will be worth it...i also know Nidan is something special and a very difficult grading.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I know how you feel kez, I was told I will be testing for my shodan some time in the early or late spring. My sensei's said I have the fundamentals down and katas. I am so nervous right now they have me instructing class a little and I get so so nervous because there watching me. So good luck to you and try not to be so frazzled and so will I. :karate: