• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Itching for a grading

Hey guys have you ever been in this state of mind where you are itching to take a grade. When you feel you are ready but are not allowed because of rules and regulations? I'm already Shodan which i passed in May 2007. Our rules state it has to be 2 years minimum before i can take my Nidan. So of course i have to wait till May next year or even longer depending on when the gradings are set for.

There is a Dan grading on Sunday, two of our club members are taking their 2nd Dans, one of them being just 12! The other being a senior adult. I'm not saying the younger one doesn't deserve it because she does, she is great at karate and will have to wait until she is 21 before she can take her 3rd Dan.

I think my main problem is jelousy, as well as wanting my sensei to notice me. I have been working really hard just lately and i know i would pass if i was allowed to grade. I have even been giving up a few hours on a saturday afternoon to help teach the kids.

Im just worried that my Sensei won't notice me when the time does come for my grading. I'm not asking for advice as such i just wanted to sound off really and was wondering if any of you guys ever get this frustrating feeling of needing to move on and progress!

Thanks for listening. :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just sounds like you're "hungry" and I'll bet you're a dedicated--and quick--learner.

I think that instructors, whether addressed as Sensei, Sa Bom Nim, or just Sir or Ma'am, know their students very well. You won't be overlooked.

BTW, Shotokan, I don't think you're jealous, but envious. Someone jealous would want to take away from one who has it; someone envious wants it as well. The envious are usually highly motivated.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Just keep going and staying dedicated. Trust me, your instructor is not overlooking you.

We are having a BB grading next week. I am glad that I am sitting and watching and not taking. I just ranked to Sandan in the summer though. I wont test for at least 4 years. I bet I will be anxious by then. Be patient. You only have to wait for a few short months.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Thanks to both of you for that, i do see what you both mean...i certainly wouldn't want to take it from either of them, i just want it too. Yes i am very dedicated, i'm sure he isnt overlooking me, i just have to be patient and keep working hard!

Thanks to both of you for that, i do see what you both mean...i certainly wouldn't want to take it from either of them, i just want it too. Yes i am very dedicated, i'm sure he isnt overlooking me, i just have to be patient and keep working hard!

Be patient - you will get there. I waited longer than that myself. Have you heard the old saying "good things come to those who wait" ? It really is true. By the time you finally do get it, it will be all the more special to you. :) :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I think my 2nd Dan grading will be a key step in my life. Being 16, just getting in much better shape I feel more alive than ever. My first black belt form was complemented by my instructor merely weeks after I had learned the entire thing. Time for Po-Eun and hopefully before I go to college, just maybe I'll be close to 2nd Dan. :karate:

The only thing I notice is when I compare myself to other people, which I hate doing. We have two black belts who and great at everything they do, definitely 2nd Dan material. However they haven't got there yet. They don't spend much time at the dojang anymore with school and work, however they probably deserve it.

I'm working on "the stripes on the belt don't matter, it's my performance" attitude. :lol:

Being 16, just getting in much better shape I feel more alive than ever. My first black belt form was complemented by my instructor merely weeks after I had learned the entire thing. Time for Po-Eun and hopefully before I go to college, just maybe I'll be close to 2nd Dan. . . .

I'm working on "the stripes on the belt don't matter, it's my performance" attitude. :lol:

Teenage years are tough ones, Truestar. On the one hand, you're looked upon as "young," and therefore someone older might not be on the same wavelength. On the other hand, you're looked upon as a "young adult," and more is expected of you, especially when you commit to a goal. Just re-reading the quote I took, I see you referring to college.

I'm sure that all forums members respect that whatever belt level anyone is aiming for is important to that person, and that those who work hard deserve respect for their efforts. I believe there are times when every martial artist has asked him/herself "Why am I doing this?" and concluded that it's definitely not out of vanity. There's a fire burning inside . . .

I see you reaching that next goal, 2nd dan.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I totally see where your coming from truestar. I also compare myself to other blackbelts in our dojo, and yes they are also great at what they do. I am always thinking "Am i as good as them".

I'm sure i am, as i am sure you are too and i am sure we will both progress and reach our next goal soon. :D :karate:

I think it is common to feel this way. I have to wait another 2 years from now before I can test again. With the cost of it coming up, I don't think I mind the wait too bad; it gives me time to save up for it.

But your instructors won't forget you. They know, when you have stuck around as long as you have already, then you will most likely be around for a while, and they recognize your committment.

You probably could pass a grading right now. But, could you do better, with the extra time? Think of it that way.