• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into it....

I'd like to hear the experiences of any here who have returned to martial arts after an extended absence...

I began training in Goju-Ryu at the age of 9 and continued until I graduated from high school. As is often the case with teenagers, I became more interested in chasing girls and getting into trouble than training, went off to college, picked up bad habits, and the rest is history.

I am now a 33 year old overweight software engineer. For some reason, I am again bitten by the bug and find myself longing to start training again. There are no Goju Ryu schools where I live, but there are some TKD schools as well as an Aikido dojo (I'm leaning Aikido).

I have been running and lifting weights in order to get back into some semblance of good shape and feel like I am now ready to begin again.

I'm just curious to hear the stories of others who trained in the past (particularly in childhood) and have returned. How have your perceptions of the martial arts changed? For me, one difference is apparent even before my training begins...as a child, I was awed by the superhero archetype of the karate master and wanted to be like that. Now, as an adult, I'm much less interested in the self defense aspects of MA and am more drawn to art and tradition.

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd like to hear the experiences of any here who have returned to martial arts after an extended absence. . . .

I am now a 33 year old overweight software engineer. . . .

(I'm leaning Aikido). . . .

I have been running and lifting weights in order to get back into some semblance of good shape and feel like I am now ready to begin again. . . .

How have your perceptions of the martial arts changed? . . .

[A]s an adult, I'm much less interested in the self defense aspects of MA and am more drawn to art and tradition.

How odd, Arcelt. You're returning at age thirty-three, and that's when I started. I worked out with weights to put muscle weight on; you're weight-training to get into shape also, but to replace what you have with muscle. Weights led to me being tutored by an Isshinryu green belt, and it was mostly contact sparring. When I tried TKD, I found that it wasn't only non-contact, but that the high roundhouses and side kicks weren't for me. I did study Taiji, taking classes and working with my Isshinryu friend, and we picked things up from videos and practiced with one-another. You did Goju-Ryu when younger, and in another posting, you related catching your instructor off-guard and applying a takedown; now your interest is leading you towards Aikido. I stopped about two decades ago, but am now returning to martial arts.

My children take Soo Bahk Do (related to Tang Soo Do and TKD) and have profited by it, especially as they're special needs and their instructor is aces with them. I decided to start Soo Bahk Do to work with them at home, and it's helped me regarding physical health since I no longer weight-train after doing it for twenty years.

You're interested more so in the art itself and its tradition. Since my age is fifty-six, I've determined that I need to work on my self-defense abilities; I'm at the age (and am gray-haired, look middle-aged) that cowards looking for easy prey go after. If you go to the top of this web page and click on Photo Album, you can see a photo of me with my children and our instructor. I've decided not to live in fear; I will defend myself to the best of my abilities and, if I go down, I'm taking a piece of my adversary(ies) with me.

I think it's great to be able to concentrate on the art itself, the tradition it upholds, and perhaps even learn of other, related arts, with their traditions. At age thirty-three, without needing to place self-defense first on the list, I think you're right to go for what your heart desires. Aikido is a "blending" art in so many ways; it may be perfect for you. Have you observed any classes? Some schools offer an intro lesson and even an intro period (my Soo Bahk Do instructor gives the first two weeks free).

Running, lifting weights, getting back into martial arts . . . Looks like you know what you're doing, Arcelt.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I did the exact same thing. Started Shotokan Karate at around 8 years old and was in and out of it. I decided to go back to training at 28 and gained my black belt in 2007. I have never looked back.

I think a lot of people would agree on here that for a lot of people and for different reasons MA stays with you, like it's a part of you. I feel that some people are made for it and thats why they return and do so well.

I hope you do well with your training and congrats at making the decision to return.

Kez x

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I appreciate the replies, folks!

I think I'm going to start my Aikido trial week on Monday and see how it goes. I'll report back!

Thanks!

Layoffs like that just seem to happen. I think its that early exposure that keeps its taste in our mouth, and is why those with these experiences end up going back later on.

Its only natural that we see something with differing perspectives as children and adults.

Have fun in your new experiences, and keep us posted as to how it goes.

I've gotten the chance to watch a few students come back from a long hiatus and the pattern is always interesting. despite early trepidation, they are almost always glad they came back (or got into some sort of martial arts again).

It seems like an itch they had to scratch.

One common hurdle, however, is not being able to do everything they used to do physically.

I took my free trial lesson today and signed up right after class. It feels great just to get back into things. Aikido is sufficiently different from Goju that I don't feel that I'm duplicating past effort and I also don't have the problem of comparing my present and past physical abilities.

I started out in Tang Soo Do when I was 12 and stopped about 2 years later. I picked up MA (TKD) again when I was in college at about 22 years of age. Both styles are similar so it didn't take me long to get back into the swing of things. I did notice a deterioration in my flexibility, though, from when I was a kid.

Ed

After a week in Aikido (the class meets 1 and 1/2 hours 4 evenings per week), I definitely have a bit more perspective. For one, I am WICKED out of shape. It's interesting that I notice this, since Aikido is not a hard, physical art. Nevertheless, after getting thrown, getting up, getting thrown, getting up, etc., I've noticed some real strain in my abdominal muscles.

I also find it is much more difficult to sit in Sieza for an extended period of time. This I can attribute to lost flexibility as well as the fact that my lower legs have to support about 80 lbs more than they ever did when I trained before.

Even after just one week, though, I can say that I am very happy to be training again.

I am WICKED out of shape. . . .

When it comes to this category, martial arts can be a humbling experience to us all, Arcelt.

Even after just one week, though, I can say that I am very happy to be training again.

The bottom line. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu