• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Puppy Training

Shotokan-kez

Hey all. I just got a new puppy..well i have had her 2 weeks. She is almost 9 weeks old and gorgeous. I have no idea what breed she is, but she certainly has terrier in her. At the moment she is starting to get the idea that she must go to the toilet outside and not in the house lol. I just have treats at the ready for when she does it right.

Now i'm trying to teach her that upstairs and the sofa is out of bounds to doggies. Thats the harder part because when i have to go out she just makes a bee line for the sofa!

She is also biting a lot...i know this is just what puppies do but she bites my kids legs and pulls at their clothes with her teeth! The last thing is the crying at night time, sometimes she is so loud and she screeches. She sounds like she is being strangled :lol:

Anyone got any good hints and tips on puppy training would be much appreciated! :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe she sounds awesome. :D When we first got my old german shepherd dog, my dad took him to these classes at the local community college where they did all these games in order to help establish control. Was just as much training the owner as it was training the dog. Maybe you could do something like that?

The biting thing is probably just teething. You probably could give her some chew toys to control that. For the crying you kinda have treat them as you'd do with a baby. You have to know when to ignore it and when it is actually something otherwise they get too dependant on you for attention.

You've got me wanting another dog now... :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

:lol: Don't do it :lol: She is really fab. I am definatley going to take her to puppy classes but i cant yet until she has had her last job at 10 weeks old.

Thanks for the advice, it's all very tiresome but she is well worth it. :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Congratulations on the new puppy!

Regarding ideas for the crying: what about when you are not home, leaving a radio on to a news or talk station - maybe that will make her feel comforted? I also read somewhere that giving a puppy your old sock or tee shirt that you have worn will comfort them because they will smell your scent and since its old, its ok to chew. I would also buy her lots of rawhide chew toys and keep her in a designated area when you go out so this way she won't chew up the furniture.

I miss owning a dog!

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

We have a new puppy too...just like having a baby all over again!! Luckily we are getting past the house training but the teething is in full swing! I provide lots of toys to chew and whenever he shews on something off limits I tell him to go get a toy and then praise him when he does-it seems to be working! We crate him when we are gone but he sleeps with us and, yes, gets on the couch! How can you have a dog that isn't part of the furniture!!!! :lol: He cries when left outside alone (what a wimp!!!) but I just ignore it for longer periods of time and he is getting better-it is separation anxiety just like when some kids go off to school the first year.

Puppy classes start Thursday!!!!! Hopefully he will become a certified Therapy dog....if he passes all the tests!!

Good luck with your pup!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

That's cool Kez. We have had a pup for about a month now, a Boxer puppy. My wife has been reading up on the training, and I would recommend books by Ian Dunbar. He is an animal behavioralist, and his stuff is top-notch.

Definitely do the crate training. It is the best for all parties involved. We also have a bunch of chew toys for him, but he likes to chew on my recliner, too. We had a talk about that, though.

Like anything, though, it all takes time. But dogs are worth it, for sure.

What breed of puppies did you both get ? :)

Mine is a Weimaraner/Beagle-although you can't see the beagle other than the fact that he is smaller. He is blue with blue eyes! I put a pic of him in the photo album.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

HE IS GORGEOUS !!! Those eyes are beautiful.

He is soooooo cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I'm jealous...my wife finally put and end to my whining for a dog. However, she did consent to a new motorcycle :) .