• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Exercise at home

kaster

My needs are:

Stretching exercises for flexibility and freedom of movement

exercises for strengthening my muscles

exercises for endurance ( I have an exercise bike, does that work?)

At school it's 3rd quarter and I don't really have much time. I can maybe put one hour max each day. I don't need to have all of them in a session though. Maybe I can do stretching exercises the first day, then strength exercises next. I also wanna get thinner, because I'm fat and I admit that I don't want to be this way the rest of my life.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Work at home can be really benificial for you.

As always with these threads, I'll refer you to crossfit.com

It's a great site built around total body fitness and integration. It focuses on practical fitness and uses lots of core training and gymnasitc type exercises. It should fit the bill very nicly for what you're looking for. in thers mof strenght and cardio. I haven't found a better training suppliment for ma out there.

Take the people posting over there with a grain of salt. Some of them are pretty rabid.

The exercise I get at home is really karate-oriented. It may be lower in physical demand, like hyungs, medium, like leg raises and stretching, or higher, as in kicks against a WaveMaster and hand strikes against BOB.

When I look over the Martial Artists' Training Log, I see what I do at home that contributes to overall health, and it's really preparation for the demands of my martial art, from which I gain exercise when I'm in class.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Ride you bike for 30 minutes at a time, and vary the intensity, based on how you feel. Then, stretch afterwards. Sets of squats, crunches, push-ups, and burpees will work wonders for you as well, if you don't have any weights.

I can explain some wall kicks later, if you like, too.

• 2 months later...
Work at home can be really benificial for you.

As always with these threads, I'll refer you to crossfit.com

It's a great site built around total body fitness and integration. It focuses on practical fitness and uses lots of core training and gymnasitc type exercises. It should fit the bill very nicly for what you're looking for. in thers mof strenght and cardio. I haven't found a better training suppliment for ma out there.

Take the people posting over there with a grain of salt. Some of them are pretty rabid.

I, too, must recommend crossfit. Their fitness program has proven (not just been theorized to be) so effective, it has become a way of life for me.

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

I agree that the exercise bike is good for exercise (especially if you have any pre-existing injuries you have to be mindful of), also the treadmill and my favorite the ellyptical trainer are the three best for endurance, burning calories and overall cardio health.

Stretching out and doing your forms repeatedly (as in one right after another with a short breathing break) will have dual benefits: increase endurance and perfect your form skills.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Well I was going to refer you to crossfit as well...but...to many people are doing that already...

http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_stretching_in_the_office/online_stretches.html

thats a link to a page on stretching people can do in their office at work. Its easy and helps with your wrists and deltoids and back if done correctly...just something to take a gander at.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 2 weeks later...

You can stretch while you are watching TV and the commercials are on, while you wait for the chicken to thaw, while you talk on the phone, or ... you get the idea.

Also, and hour is all you really need (if your workout last more than an hour, I would say you a resting too much). I suggest you experiment with many forms of exercises (calisthenics, weights, jump rope, running etc etc) and find one that you find which are somewhat fun. It will be easier to stay consistent- which is the key, my friend.

Also, and hour is all you really need (if your workout last more than an hour, I would say you a resting too much). .

I agree with what you say about an hour maybe all that you need, but I disagree with the part about it would be that your resting to much. To stretch would be good for walking up an incline, going on an elliptical (Yes they are good for your hamstrings, and the tendons in your ankle), stretching can be done with any other martial arts training. Do it for a full 20 minuted before you start your initial martial arts work out.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

A good yoga DVD can do wonders for you. Ride your bike and do the yoga workout one day (usually no more than 20-30 min), the next day ride the bike and do bodyweight stuff like pushups, situps, squats, etc. Take one day off a week. Should cover pretty much everything you need right there.