• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maintaining eye contact

I've tricked many a sparring partner in my class just by looking at an area on them (say, their stomach) that they *thought* I was going to strike when I really intended to strike elsewhere. LOL :lol:

This is why I don't like to focus on the eyes or the head. You can fake someone out easily, I think.

yep - you know that "triangle" area that includes the head, neck, and shoulders ? That's all in the peripheral vision.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely make eye contact...mainly because i am to short :lol: No i think it's to intimidating, also i'm not sure if this is the right or wrong way but i tend to look where i am attacking.

Also i heard that the Japanese won't make eye contact when bowing to each other before sparring...is this correct?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Also i heard that the Japanese won't make eye contact when bowing to each other before sparring...is this correct?

I can tell you that the Koreans do not make eye contact first, that they look down when bowing at the waist, and that my instructor has said that it's a sign of rudeness to look at the other person when bowing, that it says, in effect, "I don't trust you."

In the movie The Karate Kid, Pat Morita's character "corrected" Ralph Macchio's, saying, "Look eye. Always, look eye."

I'm interested in that as well as you are, Shotokan, in that I thought that the Japanese would look directly at one another, particularly the eyes, but realize that it's something I got from a movie. Even though Pat Morita is of Japanese descent, it doesn't mean he's a martial artist and would be familiar with martial art protocol to draw on for a motion picture. (I understand that Fumeo Demora did the martial arts scenes of "Mr. Miyagi." I wonder if they consulted him?)

BTW, no matter how many years ago that movie was made, you'll always find someone familiar with "Wax on, wax off."

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

BTW, no matter how many years ago that movie was made, you'll always find someone familiar with "Wax on, wax off."

:karate:

That and "Don't know Daniel San, never been attacked by tree"

As far as my experience goes, when bowing, the Japanese do not look forward either. They keep their head in the same registration as their neck and shoulders as they would when standing looking forward.

They bend from the waist - top half as one.

I am afraid to say that the - "hands slapping the thighs with elbows bent whilst bowing with you chin forward most" thing - appears to be a very American invention. I could be wrong on that, but certainly a lot of American XMA athletes seem to do this.

The way I look at it is that it is not to dis-similar to the western hand shake in terms of offering respect and to an extent "vulnerability" as a result of this action.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Well after training last night my sensei said this is true that the japanese martial artists find it disrespectful. I can kinda see that, as i said before i find it a bit intimidating to look into the eyes.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Well after training last night my sensei said this is true that the japanese martial artists find it disrespectful. I can kinda see that, as i said before i find it a bit intimidating to look into the eyes.

Certainly true about bowing, but not to sure if the logic applies to kumite. If you get a chance have a look at the Kuroda sensei vid a linked to a couple of posts back. He is clearly dominating his oponent by staring into his eyes.

In fact I would say it was scarey.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Certainly true about bowing, but not to sure if the logic applies to kumite. If you get a chance have a look at the Kuroda sensei vid a linked to a couple of posts back. He is clearly dominating his oponent by staring into his eyes.

My instructor's teacher calls it "Eye wars," :evil: and definitely believes it's an attempt to intimidate. She's judged so many sparring matches that she feels she can tell by the eye contact--or lack of it--if one of the opponents is intimidated by the other.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu