• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocked elbow

Shiv

Hey guys,

I just tried to do 50 knuckle pushups. My right elbow seems to be kinda blocked though. I cant overstretch it and it feels like I cant get 100% power out of it. When I tense everything in my right arm, it also feels like I cant get 100% power in my biceps, triceps and my lower arm muscles. I have been to the doctor with this, and she said it probably was a bit of water in my elbow and that I should be fine if I take it easy with it. But that has been months ago and nothing has happened. Anyone knows what it is or what to do? Doing pushups now doesnt really feel good to the right arm. It hurts a tiny bit.

Thanks in advance =)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just tried to do 50 knuckle pushups. My right elbow seems to be kinda blocked though. I cant overstretch it and it feels like I cant get 100% power out of it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "overstretch" it, Shiv. It sounds like "hyperextend" to me, which is going beyond straightening the elbow, past the straightened point, which causes elbow damage. When I did weight-training, I was careful not to "lock out" my elbows, but have the smallest bend before the straightest point. That protected them. If I went past that straightened point, past lock out, I knew I'd be damaging the joint. When doing a martial art, locking the elbow at the climax of a punch or at the apex of a block, like a low block against a kick, puts a "snapping" motion into the move which causes elbow damage. You have to do the same as the weight-trainer; just short of locking out, stop the arm, and never hyperextend.

I have been to the doctor with this, and she said it probably was a bit of water in my elbow and that I should be fine if I take it easy with it. But that has been months ago and nothing has happened.

You did the right thing by going to the doctor, but if you're repeatedly redamaging the area, it can't heal. And joints are notorious for taking their time when it comes to healing. Many people use an elbow wrap, one you can pull up your arm, as a support to help the joint when having to use it strenuously, as in the martial arts.

Did you return to the doctor? If it's been months, it should have been re-examined a while ago. It's possible that the area has an inflammation, and a prescription can be of help.

BTW, when you do pushups, do you lock out at the top of each pushup? Don't. That slight bend you leave in the elbow applies here, too.

Hope it improves.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yes, I mean hyperextend. My native language isn't english, so I dont know all the words yet ;)

I never hyperextend them when punching or when doing pushups.

Thanks for the help man, I will go to the doctor again and ask for an elbow wrap, to put on when I train. Thanks a lot :)

You might try a follow up with an orthopedic doc too. They specialize in bones, muscles, and joints. They will have a better insight into the specific problem than a general practice guy. Also, they tend to focus on sports related methods of injury and hence, they usually work to return people quicker to their activity.

You may have a bone spur or something like that. My instructor just had something like that removed from his elbow, and is rehabing it now. I'd go with the ortho doc, like tallgeese suggested.

I would just follow up with an orthopedic doctor - (also known as sports medicine doctor).

In my own personal experience with numerous injuries, if the pain doesn't go away between one & a half to two weeks, I see a doctor.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Thanks guys, I will see the ''normal'' doctor as soon as possible. If she has no real solution, I ask for an elbow wrap. I will also see if I can go to the physiotherapist, cuz I dont know if there is an orthopedic doctor near. Physiotherapists know about this kind of thing 2 right?

. . . I will see the ''normal'' doctor as soon as possible. If she has no real solution, I ask for an elbow wrap. I will also see if I can go to the physiotherapist, cuz I dont know if there is an orthopedic doctor near.

A physiotherapist sounds like someone a doctor would send you to, Shiv, as they do the therapy sessions themselves. But you live in the Netherlands, which I've visited, and your health standards/availability of medical care is right up there. I'm sure you can find an orthopedic (sports medicine) doctor.

The doctor you're seeing now can recommend a physiotherapist or suggest an orthopedic doctor that she feels would be able to help you if more than what she does is needed.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Btw, you liked the Netherlands when you visited it? :P :)

In Amsterdam, I think everybody takes the canal ride. I remember seeing how the houses, so many of them well over a hundred years old, lining the canal, with the winches at the top to bring in or take out furniture from the street level. The museums for Rembrandt and van Gogh were really enjoyable, and visiting the Anne Frank house, going through the "bookcase" and up the steep stairs to the "annexe" as it's called was both historical and emotional.

The railway system was excellent, and visiting the countryside, stopping off at a village where some women wore the traditional clothing, was a nice contrast to the city.

I stayed in Rotterdam, but saw the old building that was the post office (and I think doubled as city hall in the past) that the Germans bombed all around during WWII, but never hit. I was glad something from Rotterdam's past was preserved.

Really an enjoyable stay. :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu