• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beating the Teacher

When that happened to me they told me to hold back and do things on the same level as the rest of the class which eventually lead to me being kicked out of the school.

Not vs. my instructor, BB of C, but she has twice observed me using a boxing flurry against the face of my sparring partner. It's non-contact, so I was not causing any undue harm. I was admonished both times, the first being told that it wasn't the art, and the second time the admonishment was more direct.

When I first used the flurry, I was doing what I'd been told when sparring against a lower belt; try things that you don't usually do when sparring because they need improvement. In my case, I'd never done a flurry while sparring, unless you count BOB, so that was the right time to try it. The second time, I was against a higher belt, and I didn't even realize I was doing it until pointed out. I had seen a facial opening and was on automatic, "pulverizing" the face, but causing no harm as it's non-contact sparring. In both cases, my sparring partner didn't know what to do to counter it; if someone used it against me, I'd be on the receiving end and would work to figure out how to counter this attack, but no others use it. And all it really is, as I see it, is rapid punching.

I would understand my instructor wanting me to hold back against a lower belt, just to give the guy a chance; as I said above, I can always work on something I need to improve. But if I'm against a higher belt, I'm the underdog, so I need to use my arsenal, and I could learn from the higher belt who is countering my strikes how to do that very thing--countering strong strikes.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you have a pretty good instructor then.

All I know is that my instructor back then didn't like it when I got good. The instructor that I have now likes it when I can hit him.

.......... But if I'm against a higher belt, I'm the underdog, so I need to use my arsenal, and I could learn from the higher belt who is countering my strikes how to do that very thing--countering strong strikes.

You could always keep this technique "on the back burner" for later use at a tournament. True there's rules, but I find there's always someone who will surprise you with some type of punch that they're *technically* not supposed to use, but get away with. :bigwink: (but you didn't hear that from me) LOL

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

. . . I find there's always someone who will surprise you with some type of punch that they're *technically* not supposed to use, but get away with. :bigwink: (but you didn't hear that from me) LOL

Tiger, your secret is safe with me. :wink:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I can remeber the first time i score a point on my instructor....he left an opening and I scored with a roundhouse to the side of his head.

He looked at me and said GOOD, now you are allowing your training to take over.

He has always left openings to test our ability to see and act.

If you take advantage then he his happy.

If you are at a place in training where you should be aware of these openings and don't take advantage then he GETS YOU.

It is not a question of beating the insructor because many of us know that it may be impossible to beat him, but how much respect do you have for him to humbly take advantage of the opening for it is part of your training

brown belt kyokushinkia

• 1 month later...

Is it wise to take these opportunities to win or is it better to show respect for your teacher, hold back and dont take advantage of winning opportunities.

That only happened to me once. I was 17 and sparring with my instructor and managed to sneak in a take down. I perhaps got a bit too cocky and tried the same move again the next time we sparred...and the next time...and maybe the next. It never worked again.

My initial cockiness was soon replaced by the knowledge that I had lucked into a cheap shot, that my Sensei never sparred full speed against me anyway, and that I was fortunate indeed to have a Sensei who used that situation to teach me that anyone, even my Sensei, can be caught off guard.

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

I was 17 and sparring with my instructor and managed to sneak in a take down. . . .

My initial cockiness was soon replaced by the knowledge that I had lucked into a cheap shot . . .

What was your Sensei's reaction, Arcelt? Laughed? "Good job!" I'm sure he wasn't mad. Just wondering.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I agree...take the opportunity if it arises...i know i would. I have never been able to defeat my teacher, let alone score a single point...but i always try my hardest to win :D We don't often have the chance to fight with him but he does tend to pair the in-experienced fighters with the most experienced ones. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

What was your Sensei's reaction, Arcelt? Laughed? "Good job!" I'm sure he wasn't mad. Just wondering.

:karate:

Honestly, I don't remember his reaction. He wasn't mad, though (surely I would remember THAT). We had been working on this particular take down in the weeks previous to this, so I hope he was happy that I was at least paying attention!

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I'm sparring an instructor and I get a good combo or do something that catches them way off guard they love it. If I was an instructor, I think it's be a massive complement to my teaching abilities if one of my students was able to deliver a strong attack or show specific defense techniques.