• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strengh

It's an important stage for bodybuilders. For other athletes with different goals it isn't so important.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the basic. Lifting a heavy wieght at low reps will make you stronger which gives muscle strenght. Lifting light wieght at high reps give muscle endurance. As a martial artist, you only need muscle endurance. Running and lifting light wieght is good. As a professional whom competes, you will need both, muscle strenght and muscle endurance.

A man starts a wieght lifting program for 6 months lifting 100 lbs, he nevers add anymore wieght. Will he be stronger at the end of the six month than he was before. No. If he was able to lift 100 lbs at the beginning, he's strong. But after a while of lifting wieghts, the muscles adapt and his strenght platues, evens out. Thats why its important to keep adding on lbs if your weightlifting. And if you're liftng, its twice as important to be stretching ALOT than if you did not lift wieghts. You want power, but not at the expense of reach and flexibilty. Lifting wieghts will give you power and an advantage over someone who does not. Good luck.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

What is Plyometrics? I've never heard of it but im interested in learning about them. That and what would be considered a good high protein diet?

Its only funny until someone gets hurt. Then its hilarious.

For previous threads on plyometrics (what they are and some drills) Go to:

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3014&forum=19

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1744&forum=19

Now as for your question on a high protein diet....if you engage in regular intense strength building exercice your protein intake should be 0.7-0.8 grams per lb. of bodyweight.

A high protein diet would be 1 gram (or more)for each lb. of your body weight.

Remember, although muscle is made of protein, consuming excess amounts won't cause muscle hypertrophy (that is growth).

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-26 22:02 ]

The amount of protein needed is a widely discussed subject, with people recommending between 0.6 - 1.5 or even 2g per lb of bodyweight. You will have to experiment yourself and see what works well for you. :smile:

Good posts everybody.

Jack

KarateForums.com

ive read doing heavy squats is not good if your still growing

but it didn't say anything about other parts of body

arnold sw.....(not even gonna try to spell it:) )

new ency...(or this:D ) of bodybuilding is a good book just the exercises it shows you.

O_o A Sword Fight is Like a Game of Chess You Must Think Before You Move o_O

[ This Message was edited by: Sin Style on 2002-06-27 12:04 ]

In general, you can not begin weight training and be expect to be able to bench 100lbs or squat 300lbs. If you can, drop everything you are doing and go join the Olympic weight training team in your country.

You have to work your way up to be able to bench 100lbs, and muscle strenght increase very slowly (unless you use steroids), but decrease very rapidly. Say you can bench 100lbs, you stay away of lifting for just one week and you will not be able to lift that amount. Those are the basic principles.

At 15, its not bad for you to weight train. Just start off light or you hurt yourself.

Polymetrics: basically the use of an exposive muscle contraction to increase strenght. Doing push-ups in an explosive manner is consider polymetrics. Just push up really fast, but go down really slow. Anything with an exposive muscle contraction is consider polymetrics.

Protein: Essential to muscle growth because muscle are compose mainly of protein. But supplements are not needed. Don't waste your money. Excessive protein can harm, and will do you no good. Regularly MAs do not need excessive protein. Just eat a well- balance-diet (drink alot of water, eat alot of carbohydrates: -rice, bread-, eat vegetables, fruits), stay away from sweet and fat foods and thats all you'll need. I give myself Sundays to eat anything I want, but the other days I watch what I eat. Eat RIGHT, train hard and you do fine. Plus you'll look good in front of the ladies. That's all we want. :grin: :grin:. Right??

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

A week off from intense training can actually be beneficial and allow the body to fully heal. Strength will not be lost. That however is a completely different topic. :smile:

You are right that protein is essential, and excessive protein spells bad trouble for your liver. If you keep protein intake 0.8-1.2g per lb of bodyweight (amount of protein per pound of weight, yet another different topic.) per day you should see optimun results, but keep water intake high!

Jack

KarateForums.com