• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strengh

Who agrees that the only purpose for lifting heavy weights with small reps is to build muscular bulk. Lifting lighter weights more times is endurance and it seems to give you much more strengh than lifting heavy weights.

I have been bulking up for over a year and I have to say my improvement in strengh does not really increase. It only seems to bulk up. Yet endurance work such as body weight exercises and using light weights with loads of reps builds muscular endurance and tones but also seems to give you much more strengh than that of pure weightlifting.

Look at Bruce Lee, he had a very endurant body and he was very strong, even though he was very skinny and weighed 7 stone. Look at these Napeles people who are very skiny and small with virtually no muscular bulk yet can carry huge loads of equipment for mountaniers in the Himalayers. What are your veiws on this.

THX in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can lift a heavy weight for 8-12 reps, I can lift a light weight more. I'm after intensity than moving big weights. Good form is important for intensity, if you're losing form, the weight is too heavy.

Bruce Lee lifted heavy weights for long periods of time. =p He went futhur than what most of us do, we generally do heavy weights & low reps, or light weights & high reps. He could hold a 65lb dumbell in his hand while holding his arm out horizontally for over a minute.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Martial artists should weight train by doing low volume, high intensity lifting to develop the fast twitch muscle fibers that they need for quick, powerful kicks and punches. (1-5 reps at 85-100% of 1RM). Rest between sets for 3 to 5 minutes.

A lower rep range will require more sets than a higher rep range. Five to 12 sets are recommended, depending on the number of reps you choose.

Slow speed training with high intensity eliminates momentum and increases the tension imposed on your muscles, which in turn increases the development of strength.

This type of low weight training brings about an increase in maximum strength with minimum muscle mass.

My current routine starts with

a set of 3 maximum weight then

a set of 6 lighter then

about 12 with less weight...

Basically i take each set to failure, lower the weight and go to failure again. this is until i can't even lift the lightest weight or even do the motion without the weight. It's a mental work out and I am putting on loads of bulk (7lbs/week) and noticably getting stronger. I don't know if this is the creatine or my high protein diet but i feel great.

Bretty :up:

This does seem to be the case with strengh. I do plyometrics now and they are exercise that last a maximum of 6 seconds and give me a huge amount of strengh. Endurance gives me a huge amount of strengh as well and makes my balance a lot better especially good endurance for martial arts is where I strap on some wrist and ankle weights and perform strikes and kicks very slowly, this kills but makes me incredibly strong.

P.S. Bulking up sucks, I've been doing that for a year and the only real results in that is that my muscles get larger, not really stronger. I am a lot stronger than a lot of people that have big muscle mass.

Remember that Creatine bulk is a lot of water weight, for gaining mass be sure to eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Drink a High Protein, High Carb Meal replacement as soon as you finish your work out for best results(within one hour window). Make sure you give your body a chance to rest and get lots of sleep