• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Solo Training

Protagonist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm fortunate that I can have two pieces of equipment, a WaveMaster and BOB, in my home. The base is even the same for both, so there's some economy of space there.

I use the WaveMaster to practice kicks. I don't try for full-blast as much as I try for technique and a strong hit. I've found that I kick much better against the WaveMaster than against "air."

I use BOB to practice punches and different kinds of hand strikes, even doing the solo self-defense motions of a "block" and then the strikes against BOB. I've practiced a lot of boxing-type punches against him, meaning that I've got my guard up and fire away combinations again and again. I've even been able to practice defenses against wrist grabs by having BOB in front of me, pretending (if you know BOB, you know what I mean) that he's grabbed my wrist, then going through the motions of what the different (I have to know eight of them at my belt level) defenses are. He's so humanlike that it does give me a perspective, a kind of point of reference, one that I can't get doing these movements against a completely "pretend" opponent.

I also use a cardio-kickboxing DVD, one with ten-minute workouts targeting different areas of the body: upper, the "core," and lower. I do believe that it's helpful for the cardio, and I'd say that, in terms of martial arts, the upper body segment has been the most helpful, even though cardio and so against air, with its emphasis on keepng my guard up as well as performing punches.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

What I have been doing as of late is picking up one of my Martial Art books at home, flipping the pages to the basics section, or warm-up section, or even the sparring section, and just working on what they demonstrate in the book. Works for me!

Some sort of item for practicing striking is real nice for solo training. I prefer a good heavy bag but anything will do. Free standing bag, bob, whatever you either have access to or strikes your fancy. The heavy bag lets you hammer away without fear of knicking it over.

I also really like a double ended striking bag. Not only is it a good workout, but it really works your head movement and reflexes.

I really like having a couple of long makaiwari mounted to a stud. One from just above knee to shin height and one at head/throat height. This lets you work low line kicks and integrate them with hand strikes. Only your creativivity will limit what you can do with something as simple as this.

I'd advocate trying to work in terms or rounds for solo training. This lets you incorporate some cardio into your training. Shadow boxing is an excellent tool as well. Take time to focus on each aspect of your game, ot just fighting in the air or pounding on the bag.

Another useful tool is the punching bands that can be boughht throu boxing suppliers. These are harnesses with elastic tubing fixed to them so that when the tubing is held, you have constant resistnace while punching. You can also construct one rather easily with some surgical or exercise tubing. This can be a burner of a round in the middle of some bag work.

Solo time can be useful for working weapons as well. As with unarmed solo training, visualization is the key. It's important to make the attacker as real as possible and to execute the movements as realistically as you are able.

Asude from this, you can always focus on conditioning. Try and intergerate rounds of core exercise movements into you rounds of ma related training.

Good luck.

I did a search, and I've probably asked this question before, but aside from doing kata, what do you do to practice at home?

I might have answered this before in another thread so if I am repeating, my apologies...

I find it difficult to train alone and at home due to interruptions and distractions and the fact that I like to train with a partner.

However, on rare times that I might be motivated to go it alone, I have a basement full of training equipment that I will dust off and use. I use the punching bag, punching targets, speed bag. Lately I have been trying to improve my upper body strength because it's a bit weaker. I also have been playing around with a pair of training nunchaku's to try and get the feel of it. I definitely recommend starting off using practice nunchaku's - they won't smash you up like the real ones. At least until you get the hang of it. :lol:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

We all tend to repeat a bit here and there.. no prob. I think I had posted about the same thing a few months ago on a similar topic. It dosn't mean that it's still not sound advice.

Bushido man, I do really like the book tactic you've been using lately. I'm gonna have to get to work on my library and try someing similar.

Thanks, tallgeese. It has been a good way to rehash some things that I haven't been over in a while. Its also a nice shakeup, because at times, my creativity is a bit nil.

• 1 month later...

i cant wait to start using my wavemaster again.

gonna pick it up from storage back in my former state of residence(NY).

i just cant get motivated to practice the kicks without having a definite target to strike my kicks upon.

i coulda been a contenda.

i need a job that allows me to be free to be me.

i like jazz,blues,alt rock,metal,techno,etc.

my taste in music is very eclectic.

i feel a strong sense of rebellion towards the image of the politically correct male macho figure.it's just not me,that's all.

i cant wait to start using my wavemaster again. . . .

i just cant get motivated to practice the kicks without having a definite target to strike my kicks upon.

I practice with a WaveMaster too, Bobby, especially since my kicks against "air" are inferior to when I can hit a solid target, and I've added an item I got through AWMA--a "bag paddle." It has two velcro straps to hold it in place on a WaveMaster, and the double-paddle clacks when you strike it with crescent kicks (inside-outside, outside-inside), roundhouses if you want to try for precision (along with power against the WaveMaster), spinning back kicks, and hook kicks. The last two kicks I admit I have to work on, but the first ones I've been practicing. I've also done hand techniques using it, these from one-step sparring exercises that involve a sideways block before striking the target (the WaveMaster) offensively.

There are other attachments like the bag paddle, to simulate an arm or arms, as well as a leg--sort of like a Wing Chun dummy, but then you're getting into a bigger investment. I'm happy with the bag paddle (clapper) right now.

Why not check it out on the Internet if you've got a spare moment?

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu