• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most important muscle for MA

GhostFighter

It's a vague answer, but I agree with those who said to focus on "everything".

Your core is absoutely important because all your power generates from there

Strong legs are important, but not so much for kicks as they are for strong STANCES

The heart is also important as increased stamina helps a LOT in MA. Obviously, the longer you can go without wearing out, the better your workouts will be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strong legs are important, but not so much for kicks as they are for strong STANCES

I agree with Doug that the legs go beyond kicking to proper stances. A strong stance incorporates proper body balance, and stances might need to be held for a period of time (how many times has a class held a particular stance while the instructor checks on and corrects individual students?). I also include in a strong stance that it be low enough to have the center "drop" to where the body is in position to use an upper body strike, like a punch, and not have the body be thrown out of balance ("top heavy" so falling over). And, since we're repeatedly moving from stance to stance, the legs are always called upon to be strong.

I remember the "water" and "fire" posting, and with them in mind, my stances are a bit lower--and sounder--which I noticed when practicing self-defense techniques with a partner last night in class. I even stepped better, particularly forward, giving my upper body better reach for strikes called for in the techniques without tipping the scales (the upper body) over.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

All the core muscles should be focused on, as that is where all power is generated from,helps protect internal organs from strikes, and makes you harder to unbalance.

I totally agree. Core is the most important muscle.

• 4 weeks later...