• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most important muscle for MA

GhostFighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

IMHO it depends what you're doing and how you fight. In a kicking art like TKD I'm looking to build up the major leg muscles, the quads, hamstring, gastrocnemius etc. Something more focused on the arms and you'd want good biceps, triceps... I think compared to a lot of other physical activities, MA requires strong, fast muscles all over the body as you use every bit of your body. Best to train it all :D.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree, best to train everything because since I started many years ago I've used muscles I didn't even know I had.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Core strength. Most people automatically assume that strong legs are the secret to a great kick. While that definitely comes into play, the core of the body (abs/lower back) is key to great kicks, strong strikes and balance.

But I would never just train one part of my body, or even focus more on one part. Martial arts teaches balance, apply that to your weight training as well and train your whole body.

Agree, core strenght training is key. Try to utilize exercises that integrate the entire body in effort. That's really the key to coditioning for ma's in my opinion. Try utilizing olympic lifts and modified olympic lifts, gymnastic esercises, ect.

I always refer people to crossfit.com to check their stuff out. It's an excellent overall condidtioning program. Some of the people on the site bite, but their program is good and the exercise demonstration vids are excellent.

The heart is the begin-all and end-all of martial arts. Without a good heart we have no endurance, no flexibility, and no room to exercise our physical bodies which leaves almost no room for growth in mind and spiritual bodies.

Core strength. Most people automatically assume that strong legs are the secret to a great kick. While that definitely comes into play, the core of the body (abs/lower back) is key to great kicks, strong strikes and balance.

I agree. Everything starts with the core.

There are 2 things that make a kick powerful. Powerful core and the supporting leg of the kick must have allot of stability and strength.

I would add that I have been concentrating more on my upper body muscles lately since it tends to be weaker than my lower half.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert