• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I caught my Grand Master Smoking

Smoking and drinking too much are both bad ideas.

But i'm guessing your GM probably quite old (takes time to get to GM) which is more acceptable because the risks would not have been known when they started smoking. Thats how it was with my grandads, when the danagers were publicised one (pipe smoker of tobacco) gave up almost straight away, the other said screw it, its too late now and carried on.

Now however I cannot understand people who take up smoking when they know that they are cutting years off their lives-how stupid can you get??

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to remember that younger students look up and admire instructors, masters and GM's can to some kids have an almost god-like status. So what does a kid think when society, not the GM, tells them that smoking is bad and then sees the GM with a Camel hanging out of his mouth? As a person who became a non-smoker and a non-drinker to pursue being an instructor I feel that both of these behaviors are self-destructive and totally against the ideal of a sound mind in a sound body. Anyone who is in such a position of influence that smokes should seriously evaluate their commitment to maintaining a positive image of the martial arts. Thank you for your attention and now I will step off of my soap box :)

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I don't know if it is true but I'v heard that Bruce Lee was a pothead from more than one sorce. anyone Know if that is true or not ? :o lol

Oh But What about DRUNKEN STYLE ????

"You punch like a pig and kick like a dog"

I think you should kick the grandmasters * for smoking. Seriously, dress up like a ninja or in a trench coat with a mask, anything and go kick his *. Anyone who smokes, drinks, or takes drugs, especially a grandmaster, deserves it. If you aren't doing any of those things it should be pretty simple.

Okay, I was only joking, but don't think it's not a sub-conscious desire I feel every once in a while.

About Bruce Lee smoking pot, I don't know about that. Sounds like a bad urban legend if you ask me.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 5 months later...
Our Grandmaster smoked for years, because it is very commonplace in Korea. He finally quit because I think he finally understood the health risks. However, whenever he went back to Korea on TKD business, he didn't smoke because he felt it was unseemly for a man with his reputation to be seen smoking.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

I have always thought that the term master meant master of ones self as is the goal of martial arts. I used to smoke and it was my master, I didn't possess the discipline to quit does your grand master or is he a slave to cigarettes.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

He actually quit over 10 years ago. The thing I don't understand, though, is how he was able to smoke and train at the same time. He won the Korean National Free Fighting Championships several times. And knowing the immense physical regimen he must have gone thriough, how was he able to keep that up and smoke :-?

A number of years back, I found out one of my students smoked. I just decided to make her work harder in class :P

My opinion-Welcome to it.