• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On Staff CPR / First Aid Experts

Tiger1962

Does your instructor or anyone you train with at your dojo know CPR or is experienced in first aid? Would you have immediate help on hand if, let's just say, someone in class got hurt or collapsed?

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have CPR training. I imagine my instructor has some as well, but I don't know for sure. Our 4th dan is also certified. We also have 1st aid kits on hand.

That's a valuable thing to know. After all accidents do happen in class, i.e., people getting hit in the head by accident, falling and hitting their head, etc.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

That's a pretty good policy BD.

It always seems that someone in the classes I've been in has some sort of medical training. I used to be a trainer and EMT, some of the guys I train with now are paramedics. We've always been lucky that way.

Still, for a commercial set up, I'd say requiring all instructors to be at least 1st aid/cpr certed is a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO I think it should be mandatory if one aspires to be a martial arts instructor.

IMO I think it should be mandatory if one aspires to be a martial arts instructor.

I remember when I was going through my instructor certification when I was the ATA, one of the requirements was CPR/First Aid training. A lot of people don't like the ATA, but that is one of the things that they did get right.

We have a policy where we have to have a First Aider in class or the class doesn't run. You can get some pretty nasty accidents and the BTC wouldn't insure us unless we did. My instructor, his wife and a number of other higher grades/assistant instructors are first aiders.

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius