• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Advice

Killuminati

Good Job on giving up the drugs!

When I started I would zig when I was supposed to zag all the time. Guess what...I finished my black belt testing last night and still zigged a couple of times when a zag was necessary...you'll do fine. I had also questioned myself around 8th kyu (what am I doing? can I keep this up? man, i'm tired, etc)...but I stuck with it... you can too!!! i am 44 and I started when I was 40. My bones and muscles hurt after every workout but I keep going back...icy-hot is good stuff and a whole buttload of tylenol too...heck I am the 2nd oldest in the class...

you walked in the door of the dojo...the rest is easy...

rock on man!

Pete :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your decision to take karate.

Karate is all about self-mastery. Don't worry if you don't progress as fast as someone else. It's not a competiton. It's all about gaining control over your own body, at your own pace.

I teach karate and everybody is different in their ability to learn. Some people have more natural ability; they pick up the moves quite easily. However, that does not mean they will make the best martial artist. Commitment and the willingness to train hard are far more important than natural ability.

I only encourage you not to give up. The rewards of training in karate are immense. In the end, you won't regret it.

Oh, I remember back 5 years ago when I just started - I couldn't even perform an about turn (mawatte) properly. The first attempt at pinan nidan and I thought I'd never remember it. Perservere. Remember that you are not only learning new physical techniques, you are also learning how to learn. It will take a little while for your brain to get used to the new demands you are making on it, but it will be well worth it.

I also do wado - it's a nice style imho.

lol thats like exactly my problem. I either turn the wrong way do the wrong thing on the turn lol. or on like reverse punches i get so messed up i have to stop look around and tyr to reset where everyone else is.

I think it is awesome that you are doing martial arts. Keep with it. I don't think it was until I was I was green belt that I started to pick up on things faster. It has been awhile since you wrote. I hope you stuck with it. Good luck in all you do.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

well this is my last day to decide to sign up or not. I guess the stuff is on sale or something for august so u pay half for the uniform and what not so, after tomorrow my parents will no longer foot the bill. Only thing is they want me to stay in for a year or i pay for it all when i quit. Like that just makes the commitment heavier. What if i go and decide i really dont like it now im stuck.

What if i go and decide i really dont like it now im stuck.

We can all agree it isn't always easy to know what to do--but does that apply in this case, Killuminati?

Sometimes we don't like the way our lives are going, but to make a change is self-presented as daunting, so we become negative about it and take "the path of least resistance"; we continue with what we know we don't want, anyway.

Yes, this is a commitment, especially with your parents not forcing you along, but being on your side, and helping you through "tough love" (if you quit, you are responsible for the payments) to make a commitment they--and you--know to be the right one. No one ever said this commitment is a piece of cake, and there will be highs and lows, but so many of us have ourselves looked back at the commitments we've made, in martial arts and in life in general, and have been so glad we went through with them.

Take this step, Killuminati. It's the right one.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

well this is my last day to decide to sign up or not. I guess the stuff is on sale or something for august so u pay half for the uniform and what not so, after tomorrow my parents will no longer foot the bill. Only thing is they want me to stay in for a year or i pay for it all when i quit. Like that just makes the commitment heavier. What if i go and decide i really dont like it now im stuck.

that raises a lot of red flags to me!

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

There isnt a lot i can add really as i agree with what everyone else has said. What i will say though, is a very well done on changing your lifestyle, getting stoned isnt a good thing and not easy to get off. It has shown you have strength and determination to give that up. :)

As for the Karate, like others have said give it time and it will soon come to you. Once you get with the flow properly you will love it!

Good luck :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk