• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strengthen Feet and Ankles

nanook660

My feet and ankles are very weak and I would like to strengthen them

I am wondering does anyone here know what sort of exercises I can do?

Thanks

Fran

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There isn't much muscle in those areas to really strengthen.

A bit of jump training may help your ankles. Make sure you focus on good landing, and getting good spring when you jump. The better quality your jumps and landings, then the better it is for your ankles.

Yup, any kind of jumping (rope, ect.) will help. As will any plyometrics (box jumps and the like).

You can also get a lenght of resistance tubing and work the ankle in all four primary directions to help with the small stabilizers. 3 to 4 sets fo 10-20 every day will certianly show improvement.

Don't forget (and I don't know what you're doing already so I apologize if you're alreay active in these) running and lifting. Just the constant stabilization will yield generally better results.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear ya. I often have shooting pains throughout my shins & ankles after class. I don't know if its weak ankles and feet or the lousy floor I train on.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

My feet and ankles are very weak and I would like to strengthen them

I am wondering does anyone here know what sort of exercises I can do?

Thanks

Fran

Boxing will strengthen them right up!

Tiger, shooting pain in the shins could be shin splints. This condition is where the anterior tibialis muscle is irritated or torn microscopically along the front of the shin bone.

Overtraining can cause it, which is why it's often seen in runners. Additionally, if one has flat feet it can be a contributing factor. You might what to try an arch support in the bed of your shoe and see if it helps. YOu can also try an ice massage along the front of the shin post exercise to help with pain control.

Might not even be the case with you, but it's something to look in to.

Wow, thank you. I'm not a runner but perhaps I could have flat feet. I will try the ice massage - thanks a lot! :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert