• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heat exhaustion

Lachrymosa

Tonight has been the second training session this summer that I got a heat exhaustion while practicing at the dojo. Tonight class was not anything special fitness wise, like any normal class.

It was not really that hot tonight, like 22 degree Celsius and like 88% humidity, no wind. We do not have A/C at the dojo, but the sensei has two little fans in the corners but it does not do anything unless you are right in front of it.

Normally I sweat really easily but most of the time my body does not overact. The symptoms I get when it happens : heavy sweating, tiredness, nausea, paleness.

If I take a 10 min break, sitting, drinking water, washing my face and neck in the water I go back to normal. I don't feel 100% but I can go back to class if I really go easy for the rest of the class.

Is there anything I can do to help prevent this or know a way to train to it happens less often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey there - I also go to a dojo that does not have air conditioning and let me tell you, it gets REALLY hot and humid. Last class, the temperature was around 31 degrees Celsius!

I would recommend drinking eight ounces of water every 10-15 minutes. Also, remember to hydrate properly before and after class. What you described sounds like a simple case of dehydration.

Staying hydrated would be a good idea. Also, ask the instructor if you can bring a bottle of water of something like that to class to drink on periodically.

Exactly, hydrate early and often.

Also, if your place is "old school" about not allowing water breaks, I'd talk to the instructor and try to politly bring him up to date on the scientific reasons for these things. I've seen alot of places not do their students any good with this policy.

Of course if you're cutting weight for a fight...

Usually the class starts at 7hpm with the 15 min warm up then 45 min of basis forms and movement practice. At 8hpm its the water break. After we are split by belt rank and we practice our katas.

What I do not understand about that dehydration is that once I can not stand anymore, if I sit and relax for a bit, I slowly recover. Then when I am feeling better I go downstairs (bathroom is downstairs) and drink / wash my face in water. That is what made me think about heat exhaustion instead of dehydration.

Is it really possible to dehydrate so fast in 30-45 minutes?

Is it really possible to dehydrate so fast in 30-45 minutes?

Yes its very possible depending on how hydrated you are to start with.

I agree, Drink plenty of water all day long exspecially during the summer. I'm guilty of not drinking plain water, but I drink plenty of ice tea which I just learn it is not good to drink and than work out. Since I heard that I try to drink a glass of water before I leave for class.

All good advice. I require my students to bring water bottles in the summer time and make them take water breaks periodically throughout the class. We have air conditioning but the place is small and we heat it up with all our exertion so it is ineffective. I have offered to increase it but everyone likes it just the way it is!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/