• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about punching technique

I am going to try to explain this without sounding like an idiot..so please forgive me if I do. I know most of the time in class we practice punching in fighting stances with good and equal balance but sometimes during sparring sessions there are opportunities to throw a punch when maybe your leaning forward or backwards or to one side. Other than sparring alot and getting use to this, is there any other technique(s) that can be done to practice this? Whether it be for sparring or self defense on the street. I know you should not be off balance when throwing a punch but what I'm referring to is punching from those awkward angles. Does that make sense? Thanks for any help or advice. I also did a search on this but couldnt find anything specific. Thanks again.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This sort of thing happens. More sparring time will make you more comfortable with it. Additionally, I do some mitt work from positions like this occassioanlly.

It can be helpful to do a stirke from a negitive body position then work to regain your center and be forced to throw another combination into the pads. This will also show you natural ways to regain your center, often by initiating another strike.

This sort of thing happens. More sparring time will make you more comfortable with it. Additionally, I do some mitt work from positions like this occassioanlly.

It can be helpful to do a stirke from a negitive body position then work to regain your center and be forced to throw another combination into the pads. This will also show you natural ways to regain your center, often by initiating another strike.

So you practice actually throwing combinations from negative body positions on the pads or will you throw a single punch from that position then regain balance then throw the combo? Sorry I know thats a nit-picky question.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

That's a pretty good idea, tallgeese. I know that former Hall of Fame QB for the Baltimore Colts, Johnny Unitas, used to practice throwing balls off balance (I think I heard a story about that). You won't always be centered to throw that perfect technique, so this kind of practice is good for the body. Doing the same thing with the heavy bag will give you some variations as well.

Fighting takes place in a dynamic environment; often times much more dynamic than our basics in the dojo. It is important to keep this in mind, and practice it from time to time.

I typically set up an off balance postion and throw one or two punches from there, then practice naturally flowing back to a more balanced position and firing another combination from there. Sometimes, I'll actually et up a combination that leves me off balance, then punchr from there and recover.

For instance, I might do a jab-cross to the mitts. Then have the mitt holder punch at me and I'll retreat. Only I won't move my feet and just lean back to far, way off center. Then he'll just present them again and I'll trhow a fast jab or backfist, even an eye gouge to the mitts as a stun. Then I'll bob back to proper position and fire another combination.

It's just an example, you can subsitute just about any wepaons you wnat in there at any point. And any off-balance posutre for that matter.

Bushido man's right. Fights are dynamic and dojo prep need to account for the possibility that sometimes you're working from a negitive position.