• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Building Chest Muscles?

Hi there!

Becuase of my profession (high ropes course facilitator) I have well developed back and upper arm strength, but my shoulders are begining to slump forward. I was told that to balance myself I need to start working my chest more.

So two questions

1. Is this true?

2. If it is true what are some good exersizes for the chest that don't require equipment and if possible won't work my arms any further.

thanks!

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Typically, I think that the answer would be no, it's not true. Most of the time when shoulders slump forward, it's due to a more prominant focus on the development of the anterior musculature or the trunk, not the back. In fact, usuallly people with this particualr issue are told to concentrate more on working on the muscles of the upper back.

Obviously, you already have done this to a very high degree. Perhaps exercises specifically focused on the posterior shoulder muscles and rhomboids would be helpful. Beyond that, it may be just a matter of taking the time to really focus on posture training rather than weight work. This is probibly more than likely what will solve the problem.

As for chest work, it's hard to work the pecs without at least tapping the arms a little. Almost any motion you use will utilize the triceps as well. If you're doing pushups, the grand-daddy of non-weighted chest work, try to keep the elbows at 90 degrees from you body, this will help to minimize, but not eliminate the invovement of the triceps.

Beyond that, if you're really concerned about the issue, I'd consult with a PT in your neck of the woods for an evaluation. This may mean a trip to the MD to get a referall. They are really good with posuture evaluation and will be able to actually see what's going on.

Push ups are a great way to exercise the chest with out equipment.

You can do them in so many different ways( feet up, hands up, hands wide,hands narrow , hands shoulder width, plyo pushups etc.)

Semper Fi , Dave

Something we do which absolutely kills your arms, chest and stomach is this varient on a push up.

You basically go into the down position and hold yourself off the floor but as low as you can without touching. Hold it for a count of 15 secs then explode upwards before slowly lowering yourself again. An then start increasing the time held.

To work the chest more I find its better to move your arms wider. You can't push up as high but your chest plays a much bigger part in trying to hold yourself off the floor.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Something we do which absolutely kills your arms, chest and stomach is this varient on a push up.

You basically go into the down position and hold yourself off the floor but as low as you can without touching. Hold it for a count of 15 secs then explode upwards before slowly lowering yourself again. An then start increasing the time held.

Those sound like alot of fun (lol). I might have to try them.We do something similar. You lower yourself halfway down and just hold that position.We do these for about 30 seconds but it feels like forever.

Semper Fi , Dave

:lol: Definately not fun. Most times I'm tempted just to lie on the floor instead. :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius