• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi I'm new here, Have some Questions.

Elliott

Hi, I'm Elliott.

I took MA's when i was about 7, and stopped when I was around 14. And I took Tang Soo Doo, And late Soo Bahk Do.

During my training I never really took up any running or weightlifting, I Trained at the Dojo After School for around 3 Hours everyday and that was it.

Recently, I've wanted to get back into it. But I also want to train my body physically, doing things on my own to improve as well, such as Running, Pushups, Situps, Stretching and so on. On my own time.

I've decided to run about Two miles, then come home Stretch some more cool off do some crunches and what not, everyday.

My question is, What stretches could you recommend for running and the other activities I listed (I researched some but I would like a few opinions.)

And secondly do you think that Two miles is enough, I just got back actually, and I feel as if I could do it again fairly easily so perhaps I should run farther?

BTW. I am 16, and weigh about 125 or so.

Thanks, Elliott

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, and welcome aboard Elliot.

As to your question, you level of activity will depend on what your body will allow you to train and still recover everyday. At your age, what you're talking about might not be too much. Just make certain that you're getting plenty of rest and eating pretty good. Also, be sure that you're giving your body a couple of days of rest during the week.

It might be helpful to plan a day or to to do longer runs and then do some shorter ones the rest of the week. This might help you avoid shin splints. Some people don't get these at all, no matter how much they run. Otheres, can walk to the mailbox and get them. You'll have to see where you fall and what you're tolerances are.

For stretching, hit your hamstrings pretty good but don't forget your quads as well. do some tourqing back movements and hit the calves as well. You can get the inner legs with a good butterfly stretch too. That should hit about everything you just blasted during your run. Take you time, hold each position for 20-30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times.

There are so may workout philosophys out there, you really have to feel what you're body's telling you and experiment till you get it dial in for you.

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. i think what I'll do is increase my running everyday until it gets to be too much, and take it from there.

I'll try the long run short run idea you mentioned as well.

Thanks again, =]

I would do my MA stretches for my legs after running, along with the kind of quad and ham stretches that you might see tracksters do.

As for the running, you can either increase the distance that you run, or you can do the same distance at a higher intensity. It just depends on how you want to work it. Like tallgeese said, maybe break up long and short runs. You could do the shorter runs at higher intensities, or whatnot.

Another idea might be to work sprints into your distance running. I think tracksters call them ladders or something like that. Series of sprints will help with your anaerobic system, whereas distance runs work more of the aerobic aspects. Both are good, and necessary, for MA training.

I wish I could run well, but I can't. Lately, I have been walking more, hoping that I might lose a bit of weight so that I can run more without my knees complaining too much.

I would do my MA stretches for my legs after running, along with the kind of quad and ham stretches that you might see tracksters do.

As for the running, you can either increase the distance that you run, or you can do the same distance at a higher intensity. It just depends on how you want to work it. Like tallgeese said, maybe break up long and short runs. You could do the shorter runs at higher intensities, or whatnot.

Another idea might be to work sprints into your distance running. I think tracksters call them ladders or something like that. Series of sprints will help with your anaerobic system, whereas distance runs work more of the aerobic aspects. Both are good, and necessary, for MA training.

I wish I could run well, but I can't. Lately, I have been walking more, hoping that I might lose a bit of weight so that I can run more without my knees complaining too much.

bushido, you can run, i believe you can! :) The body is only as strong as your mind says it is. So if you believe you can, then you will! :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Welcome to KF

I like to run for a minimum of thirty minutes as I believe, considering the information that I have heard over the years, it is good for the cardiovascular system (and your stamina) to run for at least that long. However, I run 3 days a week, not everyday. 30 minutes equals about 4 miles for me. I usually try to "sprint" the last few tenths of a mile of my run. I once read the Bruce Lee would vary the intensity of his runs. He would sprint off and on while he ran. Anyone else ever here this?

Of course, others may argue that 20 minutes is sufficient for your cardiovascular system, and it very well may be.

Also, if your going to be running regularly don't skimp on running shoes and buy cheap-o's. Try to find the best shoe for the best price. Buying last years models usually adds up to about a $20 savings or more, but you have to take whatever color they have in stock.

My stretching scheme includes most of the leg stretches that I use for MA. I do focus a little more on the calves and quads.

Edited by KarateEd

Ed

bushido, you can run, i believe you can! :) The body is only as strong as your mind says it is. So if you believe you can, then you will! :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Throwdown. :)