• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your GI

shotokanka92

hey guys, well my gi is a sort of obsession for me, as in..i want to wear it in public lol. wear it when people come over. is this a bit strange? disrespectful? do you guys feel this sort of obsession to ??? :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :karate: :karate: :karate:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokanka92-san

I do understand how you feel, Karate IS a way of life, it not just 'something to do to keep you fit' I sometimes feel the same because what’s more of an advertisement for your Dojo than a Gi fastened with a Kuri Obi!!!

But what you got to look at is what the Gi is and was, It was undergarments originally for the samurai, White is a colour of death and was worn in preparation of your oncoming death in Battle in the Age of War in Japan, nowadays it is only a training garment to be used whilst you are training and/or giving demonstrations.

Are you Japanese?

If so then a Kimono for Outside may be worn, failing that change into it when you are at home.

Most Karateka in Japan wear 'normal' clothes when they are not in the Dojo so I would follow their example.

If you live in the middle of nowhere do what Sosai Mas Oyama did and spend 2 years in the wilderness perfecting his art and calling it Kyokushin

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I would say that it is a bit obsessive. I would just stick to wearing to class, and perhaps when you work out on your own.

I do agree, though, that if you have one that is well sized, they are quite comfortable.

thanks for the replies guys ill get over this obsession sometime. they are quit comfortable and i think i look sexy in it :P :P :lol: :lol:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

I was the same when I first got mine. They are in fact very comfortable, I'd say it's okay to wear it around the house for a bit, just make sure to get up and do some karate instead of sitting on the couch the whole time.

:-D

lol trust me. i do get up. watchin tv or talkin to my friends on ventrilo i say brb ima go practice some katas outside lol

hey guys, well my gi is a sort of obsession for me, as in..i want to wear it in public lol. wear it when people come over. is this a bit strange? disrespectful? do you guys feel this sort of obsession to ??? :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :karate: :karate: :karate:

Sometimes I do that but just because it's comfortable.

I feel very comfortable in my gi but i'm not so obsessed i will wear it all the time :lol: Although i do feel very proud when i do have to wear it outside, for instance going from the car to the dojo or performing in an outside demo. :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I've heard stories of young kids who sleep in their gis! Sometimes, people buy karate or kung fu pants for non-martial arts use. For general workouts or just lounging.

I know more than one instructor who wore their gis out to grab a quick bite between classes and people would come up to them and ask about martial arts and where they train. They figured it was good PR. I didn't hear whether anyone gave them a hard time, but I'm sure that must've happened from time to time, too.

I see nothing wrong with you wearing your gi around the house. I don't know if I'd wear it in public unless I was at or going to a martial art function. But, hey, it's your gi! Wear it where you want!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I guess if you want to wear it in your own house? its yours so you can do it if you want to but, out in public? I just don't think you want that attention..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard