• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Live-in training or "apprenticeship" (Uchi-Deshi)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is his website: http://www.lorenchristensen.com/

I have several of his books, and they are all pretty good.

He probably wouldn't do to well over this side of the pond.

There are references to him having 10 black belts?, although as far as I could see, he has three; a Karate 7th Dan (no style mentioned), a Jujutsu second dan (again no style mentioned) and a silat first dan. Is the sum of all these how he accounts for having 10 black belts?. Still not bad going, I suppose. :-?

I guess what I am trying to say is that IMO it would probably be more accurate for him to market his wares under the banner of "Self Protection" (purely based on his web site you understand).

Mind you, I suppose we have Mr Abernethy over here so I suppose thats the same thing really.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I know that he has experience in Karate and Jujitsu. I think after learning a system of Karate, he broke off and did his own thing. Now, I think he is more into the protection based styles, and caters more to that. I would have to look into the 10 black belts statement. There may be something between the lines there.

I know that he has experience in Karate and Jujitsu. I think after learning a system of Karate, he broke off and did his own thing. Now, I think he is more into the protection based styles, and caters more to that. I would have to look into the 10 black belts statement. There may be something between the lines there.

Indeed,

But I guess in a commercial world, you've got to sell yourself any which way you can.

As an old traditionalist, I get a bit of a grumpy head on sometimes when I see people trying to "reverse engineer" self defense / MMA techniques into a traditional karate application.

It seems everyone has gone a bit MMA mad these days, and if your art doesn't have "kata bunkai" as to how to get out of a reverse applied head lock, then it is lacking somehow.

Whats lacking in this instance IMO, are good instructors and good students who understand that they are learning a complete system, not an instant fix self protection program or a sport.

Anyway.. sorry...rant over, but hopefully you get my point.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

As for Uchi Deshi, this is a neat blog about Roy Dean's experience as an Ushi Deshi, also his instructor let him train outside of the school at a BJJ place. I find his experiences very interesting. From tough decision of leaving friends and family to persue his martial arts Journy, the emotional side, the training experiences and a new found perspecitive. Definetly check it out.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/articles

Indeed,

But I guess in a commercial world, you've got to sell yourself any which way you can.

As an old traditionalist, I get a bit of a grumpy head on sometimes when I see people trying to "reverse engineer" self defense / MMA techniques into a traditional karate application.

It seems everyone has gone a bit MMA mad these days, and if your art doesn't have "kata bunkai" as to how to get out of a reverse applied head lock, then it is lacking somehow.

Whats lacking in this instance IMO, are good instructors and good students who understand that they are learning a complete system, not an instant fix self protection program or a sport.

Anyway.. sorry...rant over, but hopefully you get my point.

Z

I think I see what you are saying. However, if you don't have a way to get out of reverse head lock, then it is a good idea, as an instructor, to learn how to do it, and then how to counter it, so you can teach it to your students. You don't have to find it in a form, but find it somewhere.

As for Uchi Deshi, this is a neat blog about Roy Dean's experience as an Ushi Deshi, also his instructor let him train outside of the school at a BJJ place. I find his experiences very interesting. From tough decision of leaving friends and family to persue his martial arts Journy, the emotional side, the training experiences and a new found perspecitive. Definetly check it out.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/articles

I remember reading this before. It's a cool experience. However, I would rather go to the source of BJJ while it's still around. By going to Brazil and learning from Rickson, I could would likely get to meet Helio. It's not often you can meet someone that created a martial art...a legitimate one anyway.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There are references to him having 10 black belts?, although as far as I could see, he has three; a Karate 7th Dan (no style mentioned), a Jujutsu second dan (again no style mentioned) and a silat first dan. Is the sum of all these how he accounts for having 10 black belts?. Still not bad going, I suppose. :-?

I think he also has experience in some form of Escima. In one of his books, he made references to Remy Presas being one of his instructors.

Being in Goju Ryu Karate my first choice is Morio Higaonna. My second choice (as a former JKD practitioner) is Dan Inosanto.

• 3 weeks later...