• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Live-in training or "apprenticeship" (Uchi-Deshi)

I have always wanted to meet Jackie Chan, i think he's fab. But im not sure if i'm being drawn to his cheeky funny side or his Martial arts :lol:

If i could pick someone to train with it would probably be Steven Seagal.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just love to go to okinawa and train there in a traditional shotokan dojo. That would be great.

Shotokan is a Japanese karate, not Okinawan. If it's Authentic Shotokan you are after you will need to head to mainland Japan.

I have heard that the JKA headquarters in Tokyo run some pretty awesome training session there.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Bushi, the expression you are looking for is "Uchi- deshi"

Thanks, Zanshin. I just couldn't think of the term. I added it to the title of the thread.

So, who would it be for you, Zanshin? Would it be the name you listed?

In Wado Karate:

Takagi Hideho / Arakawa (Toru or Takamasa) / Hakoishi Katsumi to name but a few.

In Koryu:

Toby Threadgill - Shindo Yoshin Ryu (he is American btw)

Shogen Okobayashi - Daito Ryu Aiki-jujutsu

But alas, I do not have 6 lifetimes to spare.

Z

Hi there,

first post here. I'm AJ.

Copy your list of Wadoryu in Japan and add Mr. Takashima, Mr. Kondo and Mr. Ashihara and not to forget Mr. J. Ohtsuka

But who will "give up" his regular life to go away for a year? I really can't imagine myself doing so...

AJ van Dijk,

Gorinchem - Netherlands

But who will "give up" his regular life to go away for a year? I really can't imagine myself doing so...

AJ van Dijk,

Gorinchem - Netherlands

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

As to answer your question, it would be hard to give up a year of my life as well. Sooooo.....I guess it will have to be a reverse Uchi-Deshi, where instead we have the instructor live with us for a year or so!

AJ van Dijk,

Gorinchem - Netherlands

As to answer your question, it would be hard to give up a year of my life as well. Sooooo.....I guess it will have to be a reverse Uchi-Deshi, where instead we have the instructor live with us for a year or so!

haha brilliant.

thats the best idea this year :D

AJ van Dijk,

Gorinchem - Netherlands

Brilliant!

And when they weren't teaching you, they could pick the kids up from school, or clean the house. lol

I was thinking of getting an "au pair" but now you have got me scratching my head.

Do you think that Kuroda Tetsuzan sensei would be up for it?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I'd probably go with Tommy Carruthers. He's a JKD practitioner that has amazing speed and strength, also he flows his strikes so well. Would love to learn from that guy.

Or

Rickson Gracie, 2 reasons 1. He's one of the toughest guys+one of the most technical. Could definately learn alot from him. 2. He lives in Brazil, lots of nice looking ladies from Brazil :brow:

There is no teacher but the enemy.

THere is a BJJ black belt before he trained BJJ he was in Aki-Jitsu and I think some other forms of Jiu-Jitsu and he was an uki deshi. He has a training blog up. I can see if I can find it. His name is Roy Dean he is out of Orgean I believe