• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your school/gym do basics in training?

I was wondering how many of the practitioners here have basics/kihon as a standard part of their class training? If so, what does it consist of? Is it a set group of basics that you always go through before class? Or is it random? What is the order?

Just curious. My school has set basics that we perform at the beginning of every class, and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes of the class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We kind of vary by day and practice group.

The basics we work through with a group of guys interested in doing standing jujitsu is different than a group wanting to do mma, vs. strikers only, you get the idea. Even then, within a group, I usually taylor the drills at the beginning of class to each "lesson plan" (and I use the term loosly here) that I have planned.

So I may start with some angle drills to warm up for strike entrys later. Then hit mits with similar combinations that mimic the actual entrys. That way everything kind of rolls together for the training session. By the time you actually put everything together, you've repped different parts of it several times.

So you can see, we try to cover basics practice, but it is rarely the same day to day.

Sometimes we do basics as part of the warm-up, or maybe usually, sometimes or usually :P . Sometimes its horse stances with blocks and punches, sometimes its fighting stances with basic kicks, and sometimes its fighting stances with jabs and hooks etc. Otherwise basics are practiced during the class if thats one of the things that either the class instructor or the instructor for the particular group wants to work on.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Yep and it's not scheduled, but it's not random either.... The instructor goes based on what he sees people doing poorly that needs work.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

We have an open type school where formal class is only held twice a week, but if you show up for it be prepared!! We do about 20 minutes of high movement cardio with additional stretches.

Otherwise, whenever you show up we have a set of specific stretches we are required to do (16) in order, then speed rope for 3-7 minutes depending on your level. After that you are highly suggested to go over your techniques that you are learning as well as the ones you already know, kata etc.

Sensei: I need you to look angrier.

Me: But I'm so happy to be here!

Usually do something in our warm-up or we may work on stuff throughout class. Its not the same each time though, it'll be whatever my instructor thinks we need to work on or something that he has had some thoughts on. In our sparring/fitness session we'll do mainly a bit of basic combinations, possibly get the pads out. In our technical sessions we usually take out combinations from the forms or just do whatever is needed to be worked on.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We usually go over basics in every class, though what we do varies. About 90% of the time we will practice our four basic blocks w/counter strikes (in a front stance). After that it just depends on what the needs of class are coupled with what the instructor has planned.

Ed

Same here too - it depends on the day. Sometimes we practice basics during the entire class, sometimes a portion of the class and sometimes we just work only on new stuff. Its entirely up to our instructor.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

The amount of kihon that we do in each class varies but my Thursday class is the most consistent.

We start out with kicking drills to get warmed up. Front snap kicks, side thrust kicks, back kicks, roundhouse kicks and a combination of all of them while staying in one place.

After that we will normally do some of all of, moving forward and backward in a front stance, rising, downward, inward and outward blocks with reverse punch.

Another group of moves is, moving forward and backward, backstance with knife hand block or back stance, knife hand block, front snap kick with nukite or reverse punch.

We also do straddle leg stance, stepping across side thrust and side snap kicks.

The order or amount of basics that we do depends upon how the class is doing. If half the class is in space , Sensei will have us work on more or less of what I call standard kihon. If everyone is "on", Sensei will work on something different or more complicated. There have been days where we spend 20 minutes up to over an hour on kihon. Also, if examinations are approaching, we spend more time on kihon than other things such as kumite or self defense.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org