• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hip Flexors

Hi, all. New to Karate as well as the forum. :D

Anyways, I frequently have hip pain where it almost feels like my hips are coming out of joint. This happens when I have stressed them at an odd angle. I have to rotate them to make the pain stop, and its not like muscle burn. Is this my hip flexor, a strain, or what? Can I make it stronger, or do I just need to stretch it or what?

Thanks

KitsuneAdrienne

Sensei: I need you to look angrier.

Me: But I'm so happy to be here!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome! :karate:

You're new to MAs, so your hips are feeling violated right now. They are simply not used to the motions you're making them do and they're telling you to cut the crap. But because you want to press forward in the MAs you're going to have to stretch these places out. Personally, i'd just say you have a set of sore muscles and flexors that aren't used to doing what you're asking them to do. Just like Martial Artists punch makiwara boards, roped up poles, etc to break down and toughen their hands, you need to do the same thing by stretching lightly, but daily. It will fade over time and get used to the actions that are occuring. I've heard this same thing out of many, many first-timers. Good luck and continue to stretch and drink water.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Kyo-sa is right. This too will pass in all likelyhood. Keep stretching and I would add make sure that you are warming up well before class.

Make sure you run a few laps around the mat just to get the blood flowing first. A few light movments, whatever it takes to get warmed up. It should cut down on soreness later.