• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretching Question

cjgotti

Okay, I just got back into taking Tae Kwon Do classes at a new school. I havent practiced in over a year, and I am starting to stretch quite a bit I've been doing it twice a day everyday. My ham strings have been pretty sore, and I'm just curious if I should lay off or keep at it? Am I over doing it or not doing it the right way? Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just be sure not to stretch to the point of pain...just discomfort. You should not feel the stretch in the joints at all...just in the belly of the muscle.

Hold each stretch for 30 to 45 seconds and be sure you're well warmed up before doing them.

Once per day should be plenty.

If you have an actual muscle pull...then lay off stretching for a few days and rest the muscle.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I would make sure you're doing a variety of stretches. Working one muscle group with one stretch isn't going to do a whole lot of good. Like don't just stretch the quads without stretching the hamstrings too. And depending on how long and how hard you are stretching usually once a day is fine. Flexibility is a long term thing, its not something you can gain overnight so its best to do a little bit regularly rather than suddenly stretching loads without also working on things like the strength to accompany the flexibility.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Believe it or not more stretching will help this. Its going to hurt but stretching while your in this pain will benegit your flexibilty and health.

Also, the brunt of the pain is from lactic acid build up from your muscles working. You might consider going to an athletic training website and buying a roll out stick. It's like a small plastic advanced rolling pin for your body. You roll it over the muscles you've used and it helps rid of the pain causing lactic acid. It's probably like 7 to 10 bucks, and worth it, i've used them in the past and they are life savers ! :)

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Make sure that you are not overworking your body. Just like lifting, when you stretch, your muscles will need some recovery time as well. Maybe stretch 4 days a week until the soreness subsides, and then pick it back up again.

Also, the brunt of the pain is from lactic acid build up from your muscles working. You might consider going to an athletic training website and buying a roll out stick. It's like a small plastic advanced rolling pin for your body. You roll it over the muscles you've used and it helps rid of the pain causing lactic acid. It's probably like 7 to 10 bucks, and worth it, i've used them in the past and they are life savers ! :)

With respect...this is simply not true. Just a myth. Although, in your defense...it has basis in truth and used to be considered accurate.

Lactic acid is a byproduct of the cellular metabolism during exercise. The pain or "burn" you feel during the exercise is from a combination of lactic acid and excess hydrogen ions. However, the lactic acid is reabsorbed and gone from your muscles within a fairly short time.

The pain you feel a couple days later is due to the microscopic tears created in the muscle during exercise. Generally, it's refered to as DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness). As the body repairs these microscopic injuries it builds you back stronger than before. This is why you don't continue to get terribly sore after a few weeks (Assuming consistent training).

The roller is more therapeutic than anything. It's like a massage. Still effective none the less. As far as stretching through pain. If it's DOMS...that's ok. If the pain is due to an injury such as a muscle pull, strain or tear...stretching could further the injury.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

With respect...

The information i presented comes not from myself, but from trained professionals in the sports performance industry that I, myself have trained with. They have all acquried either bachelors if not masters degrees in sport performance, therapy, anatomy and physiology, etc. All are also certified CSCS.

From the sounds of it you echoed my words in more professional terms.

The roller is, theraputic but also aids with the lactic acid. The acid that yes, disipates but i don't think i'd use the terms quickly to describe that.

I'll double check for my own personal comfort, and my nagging OCD.

Nonetheless, cjgotti, we're not here to argue conditioning as such but what we're both saying is...roller could be benficial, stretch and be careful. That's all you should have to worry about. Soreness is to be expected.

Follow what makes you comfortable, because listening to your body is the best thing to do.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."