• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Summer heat

You know it is getting to that time of year when sticking an air freshener in your gi just doesn't cut it anymore. As heat hits the US (and Japan), how does your gym keep cool? Do you use air conditioning? Or do you use the heat as part of training? :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where Im at in southern california it will get up to 110 and stay there for like a week strait so air conditioning is important. my old school didnt have it so I guess I am kind of lucky now. :kaioken: --> me burning up at my old school.

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

Being in wet and windy England the temp doesn't go up much. There isn't any air-con at the venues we train at (either that or nobody's mentioned it) so usually we make do with having the doors and windows open. We are allowed to wear t-shirts to spar instead of full doboks too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Funny you should ask. All my facilites have airconditioning, their usage depends on where and how hot. Using heat in your training is always an option and a helpful one too. Students who wish are also allowed to wear the school tshirt tucked in their uniforms instead as well.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

We have air conditioning in this school. In the old one, we didn't. I loved it that way. I love working up a great sweat. Your muscles work better and you feel at the end of class that you really worked hard. I also wish there wasnt air conditioning because I am ALWAYS cold. Right now it is 78 outside and I have 2 blankets on. :D Sick isnt it?

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Even tho we are in the uk tori it has been hot recently. I think we sometimes get it more stuffy and humid rather than sunshine with a light breeze. We dont have t-shirts so we just tend to suffer lol :lol: We dont have air conditioning either so we just have to open windows and doors!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Kez, when you have the doors and windows open, you get that great outside fresh air smell. That's great! I miss that, I really do. However, last week I tested for my SanDan rank and the upstairs airconditioning was off. I went up there for a minute and it was at least 100 degrees. I did appreciate having that cool airconditioning on the first floor that night.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

One place I train has no A/C just a large fan that we place in an open doorway. I work up quite a sweat with the weather we have in the Southeast. Another of our dojangs/dojos has A/C (I think) but it is usually turned way up so it doesn't come on.

Ed

Ed

In my current location, we have air conditioning. In my valley of So. Cal. it can get up to 114 in the summer.

A few blocks away, there is a boxing gym that intentionally built their new facility without A/C! They LOVE the unbareable heat their brick room produces! To each his own.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton