• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training at Home

tallgeese

Hey all, I was just wondering what kind of space/facilities does everyone have to train at home with? Some of my best training memories are garage type gyms that I spent time working at in addition to a school somewhere, so I try to keep the tradition alive a bit. Anyone else?

My current set up at home is the back half of basement, kind of finished. One half is weights, treadmill and such. The other side is matted with wrestling mat. There is just enough mat room for four guys to drill on or have one match of free fighting of any kind occuring in. It works out great.

Additionally, I have three large carpeted gymnastic matts that make there home in my garage. they stay rolled up but can cover a bulk of hte floor if we have more people around to fight. My bags hang out here as well.

What do other people have? I th ink it'd be a great way to get ideas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhm i have literally no space to work out at home with. and when i tried, i smashed a light bulb. but i train outside, in all whether, it's great. i used to have a 400ft gravel driveway which was awesome foot conditioning, but now its paved because i had to get too many front end alignments, it became more worth it to pave the driveway! but i still train out there but considering i do martial arts monday through friday i don't even have much time to practice at home. and i have a key to my dojo that's 5 minutes away from me, beautiful facility, air conditioning, heat, ballet rails, heavy bags, all sorts of weapons, anything you can imagine! it's beautiful.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

As soon as I get my basement cleaned up and organized (again!) I will have about a 12' by 12' area to practice in. I have a Wavemaster freestanding bag that I can use in that area, and although it is a bit small for forms, I can do other drills in the area. Sometimes, I go out in the back yard and work out, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved ot a new place and Ive pretty much made the garage my "Man cave" as my wife calls it. I have my heavy bag, free wieghts, wave master, a good amount of space to do my forms (most of them), and I have a fairly high energy dog that I take jogging to keep both of us in shape.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

My backyard in Los Angeles it good for year-round training (for the most part. I have ample space for my XXL bag & room for forms. I stretch & do my conditioning indoors, usually.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

We got wood laminate flooring in the basement so I practice my iaido forms and swings, but sit on my knees and save the moments needing more room for outside training, along with my kendo. I tend to practice my karate inside, but when it's a nice day outside I train there.

<3

We have a fairly large familyroom/kitchen area (its an open floor plan). However most forms will not fit fully into the area without some backing up and adjusting. If I really want to I can move the furnature though, just so long as I move it back or my mom will get mad. (I'm not a kid, I'm just living with my parents for a short bit) Plus the couch is pretty heavy. :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Oh all of those places sound wonderful! I have 620 sq ft for my husband, me, our animals, and our stuff, so not much room to play MA in here :(

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I have a few places I use... Downstairs living room is good for forms if you move the sofa and don't mind having to stop and move a few paces back halfway through. The back garden is the right shape and size just the grass isn't too good as we have a tree thats decided to spread its roots across the lawn. I also got my dad to hang our bag in my sister's bedroom :lol:. But if you want to do anything you have to first kick everything under the bed. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius