• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aren't you getting a bit old for all that?

I haven't run into karatism, for age basis. I have however run into it because of the job I have. First management and now banking. Clean cut, dressed up and apparently bruises are bad. People thinking I'm strange for liking to do something that gets me hit, I used to that.

My MA training hasn't gotten in the way of things. Other things have caused me to cut back my training due to gorwing older. Like Bushidoman and I are in a similar boat. Got two kids, both young, job, wife etc. I don't put in a couple of hours a day, or make it to the dojo to open the doors an hour before the first class. Or stay until an hour after the last class ends. But, I still train, and make it clear to my wife my training is important to me. And, that if I don't get to train, yes, I get cranky as it's a physical and mental outlet that keeps me smiling. Fortunately, I have a wife that is proud that I've worked so hard. She likes to say, in jest and only to friends,"I have a black belt. And he's sitting right over there."

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too run into "karateism", as I am a nurse and go to work with multiple bruises. Some of my coworkers think I am crazy, but I don't care. I love what I am doing. I dont plan to quit, even if they think I am too old or what have you.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I think alot of western people think that karate is just for kids, seeing as there are classes at most schools.

I think it is just down to lack of knowledge and understanding, some people just nervously make fun of martial arts because they don't actually understand them.

If I was in a similar situation, I would ask why he thought karate was just for kids. You would be surprised at how quickly, and how much he would come unstuck.

I think alot of western people think that karate is just for kids, seeing as there are classes at most schools.

I think it is just down to lack of knowledge and understanding, some people just nervously make fun of martial arts because they don't actually understand them.

This is a good point. I think that most of this comes from the fact that our kids do a lot of different activities, especially when they start into school years. Well, after high school, most of the organized activities end, and many feel like the Martial Arts fall along the same line, when they actually do not.

I too have heard comments from people I know or meet, about why I still train at my age or when am I going to "give it up".

Amusingly, I find that the people who make these comments do not practice any form of physical exercise, for the most part. So, maybe it's envy, jealousy, or the fact that someone their own age who does martial arts "makes them look bad" because they're such a couch potato. LOL

In any case, I usually respond to such comments with friendly sarcasm. But then, that's my style. :P :lol: :brow:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I too have heard comments from people I know or meet, about why I still train at my age or when am I going to "give it up".

Amusingly, I find that the people who make these comments do not practice any form of physical exercise, for the most part. So, maybe it's envy, jealousy, or the fact that someone their own age who does martial arts "makes them look bad" because they're such a couch potato. LOL

In any case, I usually respond to such comments with friendly sarcasm. But then, that's my style. :P :lol: :brow:

So do I, but it usually goes right over their heads.

Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I am not the only one who feels this way.

TBH, I think it takes a martial artist to understand a martial artist.

I know we don't always see eye to eye, but generally speaking most good or well intentioned students of MA share a common "gene" of forever seeking self improvement.

You just can't seem to make people who are not martial artists understand that. Even my dear old mum suggested that I should take up cricket when I stopped Karate!! :o (I had treated my old folks to a local cricket match at the time my mum suggested that). I tried to explain to her that I fully intended to train in Karate for as long as was physically capable.

To be fair to her though, she probably still equates it to the Karate I was doing in the eighties which was quite hard core and she often had to sort me out when I came home from the dojo in a bit of a mess.

Still I think I might be winning her round slowly lol!

My bosses? thats another story they think I am a nutter!

Still, as long as they pay me......

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I know we don't always see eye to eye, but generally speaking most good or well intentioned students of MA share a common "gene" of forever seeking self improvement.

You hit the nail on the head here, Z. Well said. :karate:

Years ago, I read Stephen Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." One important thing I took from that book was the idea that, "if you're gonna pack a box full of rocks & sand, it's important to put your big rocks in first." Meaning: If you don't make room for the things in your life that are important to you first, the less important things won't allow you to make any room.

I still train & teach after 26 years. I still have the passion for that I did at 17, but I also know that if I have to miss a day, it won't kill me.

This, I believe, is the perfect response.

I just don't allow other things to get in my way. I've been doing martial arts all of my life. I make it a commitment that nobody, including my wife, will take away from me. As Iceman noted, I'll miss a day here and there for illness or important meetings and such. However, I will never stop.

I think most people think of martial arts as a kid's thing. When they talk about it like that I simply invite them to step onto the mat one evening.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."