• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackbelts - Plain or Embroidered

Dobbersky

Zanshin-sama

Osu - this is from my Ashihara roots, which originates within Kyokushin and gets used a lot. Its deemed as respectful and to mean that we understand and acknowledge what's being said. Lol, I too sometimes think that the 'Osu' bit can go OTT.

Osu!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen many different styles in the school I go to. I recently tested (a black belt test) and the school provided embroidered belts for all. I've already had mine for many years and have felt stripes sewn onto it. I prefer this look over the embroidered although I can't explain why. As many other people here, Id be perfectly happy to wear a plain black belt with no stripes, but we are required to show our rank in the school.

What I find somewhat offensive is all the people that use electrical tape for their stripes. I see this most with brown belts with their black stripes, but occasionally the Jr. Black Belts will have white electrical tape stripes.

What I find somewhat offensive is all the people that use electrical tape for their stripes. I see this most with brown belts with their black stripes, but occasionally the Jr. Black Belts will have white electrical tape stripes.

They probably have it so they can peel it of once they become full Black Belts. Saves getting a whole new belt just because they become a senior.

Because I'm in the ITF, virtually everyone's belt is similar, name in gold on the left with your dan bars and Taekwon-Do in Korean and English on the left and often with ITF at the bottom. You get a new one every time you're promoted. I'm not sure for definate but I think it goes back to the old Oh Do Kwan military side; everyone wears identical doboks no matter where you are in the world and everyone's belt is the same. There are some slight variations on the belt but most of the time they are all the same.

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I know that we use electrical tape to denote ranks in between our gup belts. There's one in between orange and green, two in between green and red, and two in between red and black. There's really nothing wrong with them, it's better than duct tape which leaves marks on the belt.

and i know a lot of people who wear plain belts and just put their dan bars in electrical tape on it because they want to stay plain and don't see the need for an extravagant black belt. it's just simple and in no way meant to be offensive.

it's the more than one color on the same belt electrical tape that kind of makes me mad.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

My black belt is silk and has red embroidery on both ends. My name in Japanese on one end and my syle in Japanese on the other. :)

Although i got a very good deal for my black belt i wouldn't have hesitated for a second if i had to pay more. I'm proud of it and it's worth every penny :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

yea mine looks like somebody took a bite out of it where i tie it. Mine is also no longer black, and its turning white from the outside in. it's only aging where it hangs. it comes with age...i guess it's the look now. kids want to look like they've had their bbs for more than a year so they take scissors and shave it like people do with brims of baseball caps, and i forget where i heard it but i someone told me they heard that one guy they knew dragged his off the bumper of his car! talk about disrespect we go from don't touch it to the floor from go ahead and drag it on route 18! :lol:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."