• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before tounaments

CTOWNP

When I do decide to compete. I first make a game plan based off of the ruleof the competation. I then begin to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses. I then put in extra rounds of sparring or grappling which ever I competing in. I had outside sources to look at my prefomances to see if they can find any holes in my game and I work on that. I up my cardio and clean up my diet. I'll work on set ups and worst case cenero situations. I''l put in an hour or so after regular class and countless time at home. One of the biggest things I do is when training is if the rounds are three minutes I'll do super sets of round with the rounds lasting five or six minutes with thirty second breaks in between and get a fresh person in on me. The week of the competetion I do the normal extra workthe first night but after that I just do cardio and just light sparring or rolling consintrating on technique to prevent any injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my black belt when I was 17...I'm 19 now but turn 20 in July. Now I've only been in 3 tournaments. Would you recommend competing at this age? My older instructor kind of shunned me away from it mainly saying everyone else in my division was too advanced, and that I'd basically get slaughtered (which I probably would) but my newer school has actually asked me if I was interested in competing and prefered it if I did from their stand point.

As mentioned earlier, go ahead and compete. Even if you lose, it will give you an idea of what to expect, and then you can really focus your game and turn it up in the training department. You will also learn quite a bit from the experiences.

• 4 months later...
I was just wondering for those of you who compete in tounaments and events or have at one time, what extra preperation goes into your training? What extra do you do for sparring? or for kata? or even breaking? how much does your training time increase? thanks

Before tournaments I decide which kata/form/hyung I'm going to demonstrate and then I pick it apart. My instructor also picks it apart and we try to improve the sections that need more defining to make it look better - more "crisp". As far as sparring goes, I just try to work on mixing up combo's, improving endurance and some "surprise techniques" that aren't normally used too often instead of the predictable techniques.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• 1 month later...

at my recent karate tournament i would run 3-5 miles a day rather that 2 miles a day to increase my endurance plus i just went to my studio more times a week and my instructor would help me more with my katas and that all worked

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"