• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before tounaments

CTOWNP

ctownp,

If you're interested in competition my advice would be to begin as soon as you can. Most leagues have different divisions that would allow you to compete agaist people of your own skill set, some run by rank or time in.

What I've found is that if that is an outlet you want to persue, you're only going to get better by persuing it. Most people I work with now, and what I noted from my own experiance, is that s drastic ups-wing in skill occurs when you start competition.

I think it's due in part to getting out and seeing what other people are doing. I think that is is also due to the increse in trainig time and focus that goes along with training for a specific event. Don't worry if you're nervous about it at this stage, that will always be there no matter if you start now or a year from now. Starting ealier will also get you past the unhealthy nerves when competinig and help you reach a peak performance state ealier in your career.

I don't think that competition is the be all and end all of MA's. Not even by a long shot. But it can be useful for pushing some of your skill sets forward in their development.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ctownp,

If you're interested in competition my advice would be to begin as soon as you can. Most leagues have different divisions that would allow you to compete agaist people of your own skill set, some run by rank or time in.

What I've found is that if that is an outlet you want to persue, you're only going to get better by persuing it. Most people I work with now, and what I noted from my own experiance, is that s drastic ups-wing in skill occurs when you start competition.

I think it's due in part to getting out and seeing what other people are doing. I think that is is also due to the increse in trainig time and focus that goes along with training for a specific event. Don't worry if you're nervous about it at this stage, that will always be there no matter if you start now or a year from now. Starting ealier will also get you past the unhealthy nerves when competinig and help you reach a peak performance state ealier in your career.

I don't think that competition is the be all and end all of MA's. Not even by a long shot. But it can be useful for pushing some of your skill sets forward in their development.

I agree with this. One thing I will add is that competition is such a confidence booster with regards to how good you really think you are. You can think you're ok compared to those in you school but when you have to go out there in front of a huge crowd, sometimes centre ring, it really helps to put things into perspective. And of course if you lose you can look at the other people and see why they were better than you and what you can do to improve your own skill. Not to mention you get to meet people from all over thos place and can become really good mates with some of them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I always ask the organizer as many questions as possible, jot down some notes, and train according to what I'm expecting to be involved in at the tournament while keeping up endurance, flexibility, power, the whole nine yards of basics.

I agree...just the culture you learn and the people you meet at tournaments makes it all worthwhile. You learn from the bad/cocky/whatever artists how not to train and act and you learn from the good artists/good technitions/good attitudes, etc how to act and what to look up to. Just the culture of being arount different arts is fantastic for kids and adults.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I received my black belt when I was 17...I'm 19 now but turn 20 in July. Now I've only been in 3 tournaments. Would you recommend competing at this age? My older instructor kind of shunned me away from it mainly saying everyone else in my division was too advanced, and that I'd basically get slaughtered (which I probably would) but my newer school has actually asked me if I was interested in competing and prefered it if I did from their stand point.

Because of your situation i'd wait awhile with your new school and work on their material first. but 19? by all means, use your youth and go compete! you are definately not too old to compete. try it out with your new school, see how it feels to you.

I don't think you'd necessarily get slaughtered. Most of the time divisions group like grade with like grade and similar weights. I'd say the majority of adult competitors tend to be in their 20s too. Plus even if you did get slaughtered, its all experience which you can take away with you and learn from. You should totally compete if you want to. You may want to wait though you'd need the new cirriculem.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

also, DWx's post reminded me. Each tournament is different, don't go to a NASKA "A" rated tournament because if you want to compete in forms it is the battle of the back flips. you can compete in 'traditional' forms but the definition of a traditional form is interpreted and enforced loosely. try fight mostly and try local tourneys first start small to end big ya know?

good luck :)

also, DWx's post reminded me. Each tournament is different, don't go to a NASKA "A" rated tournament because if you want to compete in forms it is the battle of the back flips. you can compete in 'traditional' forms but the definition of a traditional form is interpreted and enforced loosely. try fight mostly and try local tourneys first start small to end big ya know?

good luck :)

The tournaments I have actually competed in were NASKA tournaments, and I remember when I was a brown belt I was competing against a girl in forms and I ended up beating her by a 10th of a point (we tied twice) except she was sponsored etc, so they actually made her the winner so it wouldn't ruin her whole competition career. So I ended up getting 2nd place. That was the Maryland Open in 2004, and then in 2006 I was in another one and I was paired up in sparring...I'm only 125lbs, and 5'7 but I went up against a kid who was 6'5...the reach kinda sucked there, and I didn't do as well, plus my flexibility isn't exactly my strong point either. Apparently I was throwing my kicks first he just had the reach which angered me, but I'm going to definitely get taught more form this school and get more serious about it. I never trained heavily before and have been very motivated.

That sounds good. As far as you're concerned it seems like you could just focus on your training for a year or two then take some time to study the tournament atmosphere and the mind/ways of a fighter and do some tournaments and some competitive fighting. Motivation is all you need, your instructors should be able take care of the rest :wink: