• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blind Karate Team

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had a blind student for two and a half years. He quit shortly after because his home situation was tough. But it was interesting to say the least, a lot of voice directional commands. I had to be very careful as to how and when i was walking across the room because i had him trained to the point where he could follow my voice if i was in a set place. So i could say "ok now, pick up your back leg and move towards me". but before that it was a lot of picking him up and putting him where he belonged, touching the shoulder he was to turn to, etc. To be honest, i still don't know how we both did it, it was a team effort. I don't know if i could handle more than one blind student at a time though. A TEAM! that's amazing. so much credit to them and their coaches/aids/trainers!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

My hats off and tons of respect to the instructor of The California School for the Blind Karate team!!!!

Nice article and I wish them the best in their Karate-Do!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wow!! That's really great!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I had a blind student for two and a half years. He quit shortly after because his home situation was tough. But it was interesting to say the least, a lot of voice directional commands. I had to be very careful as to how and when i was walking across the room because i had him trained to the point where he could follow my voice if i was in a set place. So i could say "ok now, pick up your back leg and move towards me". but before that it was a lot of picking him up and putting him where he belonged, touching the shoulder he was to turn to, etc. To be honest, i still don't know how we both did it, it was a team effort. I don't know if i could handle more than one blind student at a time though. A TEAM! that's amazing. so much credit to them and their coaches/aids/trainers!

I see what you are saying here. This would be tough to do. Especially because I'll bet that we all take for granted the fact that our students can see. It would be fun for both teachers and students if we did a class where we had the students blindfold themselves.

I see what you are saying here. This would be tough to do. Especially because I'll bet that we all take for granted the fact that our students can see. It would be fun for both teachers and students if we did a class where we had the students blindfold themselves.

I must say, you're right. It was quite a test of my patience at times, and definately a test of my teaching abilities, but i was glad it happened to me. Not because i think i did the best job with him, but because i learned so much about myself and so much more about how to teach my students. It was an incredible learning experience for me. You truly don't realize it until it happens to you, and one blind kid, can slow down a whole class of 20 so you learn how to balance a class and a student in dire need, and so much more!

And as for blindfolding...it is a great tool. I use it a few weeks before my students test. I have them get up, and i position them, make sure they know where they are starting and then i blindfold them with their own belt! Then they proceed to do their form. It's safe, it's a learning experience, and it's really quite a trip to realize where you end when you're done! It helps the kids a lot, i'd definately suggest it to other instructors.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."