• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I walked out on my sons competition Saturday

marmaduke

Huh, thats crazy. Why would he do a yellow belt form?

I know black belts that can win with a yellow belt form. But you are right not many people would, or should try to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say your son is 17? Hehehe oh to be a teenager. They are moody, unpredictable, and often hopelessly in love. (I was one 5 years ago and feel old right at this second) I'm sure he has learned his lesson on his own. He just embarrassed himself in front of a girl he likes. I'd take it easy on him since its an easy mistake to move on from (as opposed to one that involves the police or credit cards).

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

It's a tournament. So he deliberately lost to a girl who just happens to be 19 and older by the way. He is a kid. I bet he is a great kid too. My friend just lost her great kid in a car accident. He would of graduated next week and gone on to college in the fall. Don't sweat the small stuff. It isn't worth it in the long run.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I have been doing blackbelt katas since I was orange/green in tournaments.

The kata doesn't matter, its; how well you do it.

Give the kid a break, his hormones are taking over.

p.s. He did TekkiShodan. As far as I'm concerned, that was beneath him.

Dude, if he did Tekki Shodan, props to him. Many of the Okinawans hold Naihanchi to be one of the staple kata that everyone should know.

Karate begins and ends with Naihanchi

One of these days I will probably use it in a tournament, just because it's that great of a kata (ok, so I do like Seisan and Kusanku better....)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

So, I guess I'm the odd man out failing to see why doing a lower kata is an issue? I've learned Seisan as a white belt and have been using it and winning with it ever since.

I do agree that he never should have been against the girl due to rank difference.

Also, what is the issue with the length of the kata?

I guess it is because in TKD, we have to the form for our rank. Basically, we have to compete with the form of our rank, and within the same rank (or one below or above). I guess it has to do with doing the form for you skill level and rank, as opposed to doing a lower ranked form.

So, I guess I'm the odd man out failing to see why doing a lower kata is an issue? I've learned Seisan as a white belt and have been using it and winning with it ever since.

I do agree that he never should have been against the girl due to rank difference.

Also, what is the issue with the length of the kata?

I guess it is because in TKD, we have to the form for our rank. Basically, we have to compete with the form of our rank, and within the same rank (or one below or above). I guess it has to do with doing the form for you skill level and rank, as opposed to doing a lower ranked form.

Rules are rules Bushido, but surely if you perform any Kata sublimely no matter, it should still beat a kata that some may consider more "lofty" in the ranks of seniority.

To be honest, I am in two minds as to whether Kata competitions are a good thing in the first place, but thats just my opinion I guess.

I believe it was once said of Kata, that it takes about 3 years to truly master a single form. So really, in a perfect Budo world, these kids (who I guess have been training for 10, 12 years etc.) should only know 4 or so katas.

One could argue that performing kata without understanding is dancing. Girls are better dancers than boys!!

Just my two cents!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Marmaduke,

In the Kwanmukan, Tekki Shodan is a black belt form. Second, how could it possibly surprise you that a 17 year old boy, with hormones raging, would try to impress a girl? With respect...that's just naive.

Anyway, I think the bigger problem is that you walked out on him. First, you didn't realize the form was a black belt form. So you took it upon yourself to assume he threw the competition rather than asking. What message does that send him? How would you want him to react if the roles were reversed? He's a 17 year old kid who, as much as he probably hates to admit, would love nothing more than to have your admiration and pride. Respectfully, I think you dropped the ball...not him.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Marmaduke,

In the Kwanmukan, Tekki Shodan is a black belt form. Second, how could it possibly surprise you that a 17 year old boy, with hormones raging, would try to impress a girl? With respect...that's just naive.

Anyway, I think the bigger problem is that you walked out on him. First, you didn't realize the form was a black belt form. So you took it upon yourself to assume he threw the competition rather than asking. What message does that send him? How would you want him to react if the roles were reversed? He's a 17 year old kid who, as much as he probably hates to admit, would love nothing more than to have your admiration and pride. Respectfully, I think you dropped the ball...not him.

Well said ps1.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Marmaduke-san

I can completely Understand where you are coming from because I have a Teenage Daughter who tends to not perform as well as I know she could do. Possible unlike you and me, our children have had us influencing their childhood with martial arts since they were young.

My daughter is now a brownbelt (3rd Kyu) and my Sensei Passed her, where as I was on the verge of failing her. She gives 70% effort not 110% like me

In Ashihara the Kata is very different and I would put even Shoshin Kata 9th Kyu Kata in the same technical area and Pinan Sandan

As a Wado Ryu Practioner (ex Tang Soo Do practioner), I understand the complexity of traditional kata. Tekki Shodan or Naihanchi in Wado is a 2nd Kyu Kata. This Kata is an excellent Kata if performed correctly.

Remember Miyagi's famous words Karate must have good roots like a tree must have good roots

I would actually be proud of my child performing a lower grade kata as long as I knew that they performed it with 110% effort.

Another reason is, Put a Purple belt and a Blackbelt together, and ask them to perform say Pinan Shodan (Heian Nidan), I would guarantee the Blackbelts performance would outway the purple belt's version

Don't be too harsh on your son, remember we were all young once.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)