• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Book Recommendation

Taylor

One of the most profound books I've read about the martial arts is an autobiography called, Moving Zen by W.C. Nicol. It is the story of an ex-pro wrestler (old school wrestling) who takes up Shotokan Karate in Japan and outlines his challenges and process. No glitz, no glam, just a good, honest autobiography about his journey to black belt and how it changed him. I wanted to recommend it here, even though I think any martial arts practitioner will connect with it, I think Shotokan practitioners will find it especially meaningful.

:)

Edited by Taylor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read this book a few years ago while I was stationed in Iraq. It's one of the best books out there. Great suggestion.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Meeting Myself : Beyond Spirit of the Empty Hand

by Stan Schmidt

Is that the one? I got the title off of Amazon. Sounds good, I should give it a read.

Another good book, IMO, is from Kancho Hirokazu Kanazawa - 10th Dan!

"Black Belt Karate ~ An Intensive Course".

Not only is the editing and writing professional, the photographs actually pay great service to the flow of the text. It's intended as a workbook to help one through an intensive course sotospeak. Kodansha International Publishers, copyright 2006.

regards.

Eric

Yes, I think Nicol's book is not only a great book for karate students, but it's an outstanding work overall. I have enjoyed reading it several times.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

Harry Cook has written a treatise on Shotokan's history. The current version is out of print... but a 2nd Ed. is about to be released. Last version was selling for $500 on Ebay it's that good....

Harry Cook has written a treatise on Shotokan's history. The current version is out of print... but a 2nd Ed. is about to be released. Last version was selling for $500 on Ebay it's that good....

I have actually reserved my copy of the 2nd edition. I am still waiting for it. I am also waiting for Karate Chronicles, too.

The Best Karate series, by M. Nakayama, are great as well, especially for their layout of the katas.