• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice needed regarding Lower Back Injury and Sit ups !

I have a long standing lower back injury involving the bottom 2/3 discs and as a result I am unable to do full sit ups (i.e. arms crossed at chest and full down and back up to knees).

In class Sensei allows me to do "crunches" as I can manage this but the full sit ups have so far proved impossible as I have very little muscle strength in my lower backand so find it extremely difficult and painful to do a full sit up.

Can anyone advise as to how to build up these muscles so that I can start to attempt these full sit ups ? :-? preferably without damaging my back further ??

Edited by Eager To Learn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Contrary to the popular belief, the move movement you have in your ab workouts the better is not the case. cruches are better for your abs, more of a workout than "sit ups"

with this being said, google ab exercises, or ab exercises with mininmal movement or range of motion and see what you get because if i state them here, i'd be typing forever.

but see what you get online, and try some of them out, pick the ones that don't hurt your lower back and start doing those in sets to build up that muscle. best of luck.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Before any suggestions I need to know if you've seen both a physical therapist and a doctor. I'm a trainer by profession and can offer some advice, but will not do so before I have a little more information.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

HI PS1 - I have seen a consultant osteopathic surgeon and regularly see a osteopath to straighten me out.

My back tends to rotate about the 3rd disc up and so if i turn sharply it sometimes locks resulting in sciatic pain and general discomfort in the left leg / hip below the area and my back tends to go into spasm upwards of the problem area.

When trying to do the sit ups there is just a general lack of strength in my lower back and so I was just after any excercises to try and improve this area and hopefully strengthen the core muscle around this to give it more protection - hope this makes sense ?

You can stengthen your back with some simple exercises like back hyperextensions or supermans. However, if your back is causing you fits, then you may want to wait until you are cleared by a doctor before you start doing them.

I sent you a PM with all the information you should need. I hope you find it useful. Let us know if you need any help.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I suffer with lower back pain do to injury taking ma has help a great deal. we do a lot of conditioning of the total body and one of the best things we do a lot of is, planks it builds your core and we do it buy the min.

You can stengthen your back with some simple exercises like back hyperextensions or supermans.

Thanks Bushido - can you elaborate or explain the hyperextensions / supermans.

I think the supermans you refer to are those in press up postion whilst lifting oposite legs / arms - are these what you mean ?

However, if your back is causing you fits, then you may want to wait until you are cleared by a doctor before you start doing them.

- I have been checked by the doctor and he has said teh Karate in general should be good for my back as the stretching and forms etc will lengthen my hamstrings which will help my back and should also build core stability so he has given me the all clear but thanks for the word of warning anyway,

Kind Regards

Supermans are when you lay on the floor, with your arms stretched out past your head, and feet out behind you, on your stomach. What you do is then lift your arms and legs up off the ground, keeping them straight, and kind of supporting yourself on your stomach; think of Superman flying through the air; that is what you will look like. You can either hold the position for a preset time, or do reps, or do it both ways.

Back hyperextensions are done on a type of chair in the weight room, like one that you can do ab work on. You brace your feet into it, lower your body, and then raise it up level, hold a second or 10, and then repeat.

For anyone with disk problems hyperextensions are a no no. There is some extreme torque to the lower back. Ive had the same back problems as described above and over 20 years have mostly gotten ahead of the pain. Lots of physical therapy. Its very easy to make this kind of problem worse.

The best thing to do is talk to your doc and clear your excersizes with him, which sounds like you did already. In general, hamstring stretching and light excersize is a great start and will help relieve tension. Core excersizes like crunches are much more healthy to the spine than sit ups anyway so stick to those if you can handle them.

Not that it might be a problem, but Ive found that gaining even a few extra pounds in the belly really pulls the back forward and can create more pain. Loosing the belly was the single most important thing to pain management for me, Im finally at a stage where it doesnt bother me much but I really have to pay attention to my body and dont push it. Its an injury that wont go away, Im sure Ill always have problems if I dont keep an eye on it. Of course my problems might be different, but when your back makes your legs hurt its certainly a serious problem. I hope you can get it somewhat resolved, I wouldnt wish that pain on anyone.