• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Contact allowed in One-Steps?

northerndragon

Sounds funny. The nice thing about one-steps is that you will eventually get a turn. I would give it right back to him.

Tapping is tapping; it doesn't matter where, it should still be noticeable. Perhaps addressing the instructor is the way to go here.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bushido man96,

Funny you should mention it: he verbally stated: [not verbatim] ''Okay, now I've gotten you angry, I can't wait for a good retaliation back.'' or some such nonsensical comment.

I did not retaliate, as it would make me look bad to haul-off and hit him in the face and I would probably be kicked out of the dojo. I just shrugged it off later.

dobbersky,

To answer your question, only the sensei knew of my prior training in a private discussion before I actually joined.

I've sort of pooled answers locally in discussions: the general rule that other teachers have offered is a concensus: no contact in One Steps. One teacher offered the opinion that some dojos are catering to the rough-and-tumble macheesmo mentality.

to each his own.

regards,

Eric

Now, i wouldn't attribute this to the Dojo. I don't think the Sensei would allow such behavior. It sounds like you have a twisted individual on your hands. Every now and then we get those creeps in martial arts who like to only partner up with the women, or who get pleasure out of going 100% all the time, the one's who always have to the the first, the best, the hardest, the toughest, the fastest, etc. It just sounds like you have a poor martial artist on your hands, i wouldnt go as far as to say it's the fault of the dojo. I know a fellow in my own school who thinks he needs to beat the living crap out of people to impress people. and it's dead set in his mind that life really is that way. and i think you were right in not hitting back, that's typically of that type to want to be hit back , just as they like hitting hard, they like to get hit hard. I think this is just a case of the individual person being the problem, not the Dojo.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I agree you should of not retaliated good job in not doing so, some people like to push new people to see how far they are welling to go, specially if the new person comes in with and macho attitude. I'm not saying you had and attitude, this is just what I've observe in my few years in ma. But I would not give up in this school unless it continues, then I would question sensei then make your mind up then. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree that you did the right thing not to retaliate but i also agree with Brian that In step-sparring the other person gets a turn! Yes no contact on step-sparring but our Sensei says if someone is mucking about or going in to hard then hit them back, generally that works but every now and again you get a person like you have who never stops, who has an ego bigger than the world!

So what if your a white belt? That gives no rights to other grades to treat you that way...period! I don't mean to be rude here but really what is the sensei doing about this guy? Maybe he needs some choice words from his sensei to remind him how things should be done.

In the meantime try not to partner up with him. I agree that the dojo isn't to blame so i wouldn't give up on that just yet. Hope things get better for you. :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

northerndragon,

Have you actually mentioned this incident to your instructor? He may not be aware of this student's actions in class. If he is aware of it then he needs to do what is necessary to stop it. Your experience gets me a little "hot-under-the-collar" because during one-steps students intentionally leave themselves open to attack so their partners can practice, not hit them full force. This is bad etiquette as well as a good way to injure someone.

Ed

Your experience gets me a little "hot-under-the-collar" because during one-steps students intentionally leave themselves open to attack so their partners can practice, not hit them full force. This is bad etiquette as well as a good way to injure someone.

This was exactly what I was thinking. If you are going to try to display your toughness by trying to hurt someone, do it in sparring/kumite. Don't take advantage of someone who is intentionally exposing themselves to you.

Sounds like a case of in-appropriate pairing.

Good instructors will always make sure that their "newbies" are paired with an experienced student, who can ease them into the system.

Quite honestly it sounds to me, that the scenario in question was not so much about ego as it was lack of understanding on both sides.

Whilst you may be new northerndragon, the guy you were paired with was probably no expert either, so don't feel too bad.

Also, not wishing to sound harsh, but it does seem as though you have been bouncing between dojos and styles etc. I am afraid there comes a point where you have to commit. Being a "theoretical" martial artist is great, but there is nothing like forging your skills in the furnace of a good dojo. Hard work, where you take the rough with the smooth and if that means coping with the odd heavy handed partner, then so be it.

I am afraid karate is a fighting art and in such you will get hurt learning it along the way. Its down to a good instructor to mitigate that and to give you the best tools available to avoid it, but at the end of the day, its going to happen.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Also, not wishing to sound harsh, but it does seem as though you have been bouncing between dojos and styles etc. I am afraid there comes a point where you have to commit. Being a "theoretical" martial artist is great, but there is nothing like forging your skills in the furnace of a good dojo. Hard work, where you take the rough with the smooth and if that means coping with the odd heavy handed partner, then so be it.

I am afraid karate is a fighting art and in such you will get hurt learning it along the way. Its down to a good instructor to mitigate that and to give you the best tools available to avoid it, but at the end of the day, its going to happen.

This is very sound and solid advice for any martial artist. Good post as usual zanshin!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

This is very sound and solid advice for any martial artist. Good post as usual zanshin!

Domo! :wink:

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com