• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Contact allowed in One-Steps?

northerndragon

2008-4-18th

Hello forum members,

Is punching or kicking the face of your partner permitted generally in One-Step (choreographed) sparring?

I had trialed one free class, and ended up taking two more paid classes at a local dojo: during One Step Sparring, I was the 'attacker' doing a one-step front-stance, plus a reverse punch. Standard. The advanced blue belt did his 'defender' defense, side stepping, wrist locking me as the rest of the class did. Next, everyone as 'defender' was to side step and bring the wrist up. Standard. Only as my partner had my wrist up high, I was now bent forwards. Standard. BUT: I don't know how, but I took a hard strike to the jaw.

Mere minutes later the Sensei changed it up and asked advanced belts to sub in the kick/strike with a neck lock. I ended up coughing/choking as I was tapping out on my thigh. He stopped saying that I was supposed to tap ''his" leg. In my position I could not find his leg!

The whole scenario was a red flag and I've decided to not return.

Is this just an isolated instance?

A sign of poor discipline in the Sensei's advanced belts?

Should I have said something to the sensei?

either way I have a gut instinct telling me to look elsewhere for a dojo, as I don't think being struck in the face was supposed to be par-for-the-course.

regards,

Eric

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like an isolated incident. You spoke so highly of the school in other posts that I'd hate for you to quit because of one bad day. As far as taping out...the first time it happens it's sometimes hard to find the opponent's leg. That comes with practice. Just avoid the person that was too rough.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Again, as ps1 said, it does sound like an isolated incident and i wouldn't let that scare you away from the school. It sounded like your typical macho man higher belt trying to prove something to a newbie. That happens every where. I'd keep going and change partners and see if it happens again. If it does maybe you should talk to the sensei and ask if it is protocol to go full force or not, which is perfectly fine and respectful to ask IMO.

But it truly just sounds like a blue belt who thinks he's a Black Belt and can do whatever he wants. And as for tapping out on the leg, i've never heard that you have to be THAT specific, it's usually said by the instructor tap the mat, the wall, the floor, yourself, your partner, say "out out out" or "break break break". thats usually acceptable, but again, he thought he was in charge so obviously he was looking to correct you on something so miniscule.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

No, it isn't standard practice to deliberately nail a partner with a punch or kick when practicing one-step sparring. Sounds like the blue belt has poor control and/or was showing off. However, as the others have said, it may be an isolated incident.

Ed

Ed

No, it isn't standard practice to deliberately nail a partner with a punch or kick when practicing one-step sparring. Sounds like the blue belt has poor control and/or was showing off. However, as the others have said, it may be an isolated incident.

Ed

This is what Im thinking too. Ask him what the level of contact is. I practice some of the same style and we have what we call the Five Degrees of Focus while training. One of the first things I learned.

1. No contact

2. Skin contact

3. About 2'' beyond

4. About mid body

5. Complete

During one step the attacker stays idle after the defender's block and then the defender makes his attack. At this point its just stupid to blast you since he's basically just letting you practice your technique. Our contact is always 2 unless told otherwise during one steps since they are just warm ups mostly.

He probably has poor distance control. My instructor always said white belts are the most dangerous to practice with, sounds like he may have advanced too quickly :wink: . Hang in there, you might ask your sense about it, maybe you are paired with him because your new and everyone else knows him.

Then again, you could always just smile at him after the next time and ask if thats the level of contact you should be using also :D

I agree with Ed, it isn't standard practise. I made a post recently about using control while step sparring because i was fed up of being bashed in the ribs.

Since the defender is just there for a target contact should only be slightly made, my sensei says so the defender can feel a small breeze and just a tap.

Maybe it is an isolated incident, give it a little longer, see what happens.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I am in agreement with all here...and hopefully just an isolated ego incident or since step sparring teaches us many things-including control- he may have not have learned it as of yet.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Drills don't always go the way you had planned as an instructor. There are drills that have been just fine in my Sunday class and practically dangerous on Monday.

I hope all goes well and it was isolated!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

To all who replied to my question: Thank you, kindly.

I will say that this was admittedly, both embarassing, and demoralizing. It took a while to realize that this guy was literally boosting his ego.

Granted, I'm a white belt at this dojo, but my martial arts training began in 1989. I have been just recently acclimating myself to the Karate "form" in terms of class, etiquette, lineage, in-class procedure, etc.

I've had One-Steps in other Chinese and Taekwondo lineages, so I know that noncontact means no hard hits to the jaw nor hard-choke-outs.

I would have thought it was just an isolated incident, but the strike to my jaw was a mere couple mintues before the full-on neck choke. I realized after I posed my question that I might have been unclear. As it happened again:

1-we both partnered up, the One Steps resumed with the sensei stating all the attackers takes his/her ''one step'' with a right reverse punch. The defender is to side step, wrist lock, and execute noncontact punch to body, then carry wrist-lock behind their back to make 'attacker' lean forward and off-balance.

2- we were then instructed to do the same motion again the second time, only this time the sensei asked advanced belts to carry out a neck-choke and beginners to do a push-off (akin to pushing someone to escape).

3- the sensei asked all to look or listen for the tap-out when doing the choke out. I was having to tap-out repeatedly on my thigh, then as the choke got harder, as I was coughing I managed to find his leg! He exclaimed: "You're supposed to tap me, not your leg. I didn't see your tap. But I am ready for your hit, come on, hit me back." *not verbatim but something to those words."

I looked around and everyone was tapping whatever they could find. I thought it was a bit over-the-top on his behalf.

I did not retaliate and strike back, as I knew it would make me look bad.

It was demoralizing to say the least.

A bad experience overall.

your input has been much appreciated.

regards,

Eric

Northerndragon,

Let me ask you a question. Do you speak alot about your previous styles and experience to the rest of the Kyu Grades etc?

I wonder as being a Dan Grade and an Instructor myself. I experienced a feeling of resentment especially when I was asked to take the warm up a few times for my Wado Ryu class by the Sensei there, where I am a lower Kyu Grade. And this seemed to be from a Purple belt (one grade up from Blue).

I only state that I have previous experience when I am asked. But everyone in the class knows now.

I tend to find that Middle Kyu grades tend to be more 'unforgiving' as they're not quite there yet. This is why there is such a gap between kyu grades and Shodan.

Its about the person not the belt. hence why most Dan grades tests are upon invitation only

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)