• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Washing your Gi, part 2

marmaduke

I read thru the last post and need some more help.

My son has a tournament this weekend. My wife has spent the past 2 days trying to get my sons Gi clean. (14 oz. ProForce) Sweat stains, dirt from wrestling, laying on the floor, etc.

Does anyone have any tips on getting a Gi absolutely white? Right now, my wife has one stain that refuses to clean. Borax, Zout, Prell, Oxyclean, scrub brush... nothing seems to work. :bawling:

Any help??

p.s. My son picked "this" uniform to wear. Otherwise we would have given him a newer, clean one to take. So we're stuck.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try some gojo the original cream or goop. Some of the hand cleaners can work on clothing as well. Don't get anything with pumince in it. I know goop will take grease stains out of clothes I had to do this from time to time when I was working on cars for a living.

If the dirt is there from previous washes then you are fighting a losing battle. It will probably have settled in by now. One thing that works for me is to use this stuff called "Vanish". I don't know if you get that in the States, or it may go under another name. You have to watch it though becuase I have managed to fade the silk piping on a dobok before so if you need to use a lot, hand wash it.

Definately with my dobok preventation is better than cure. Day to day to keep my dobok in a state of clean I find rubbing some detergent into the dirt and stuff before I put it in the machine works. Having said that I actually have a dobok that I keep solely for tournaments, gradings and other special events.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 months later...

I use Tide on My uniforms , it works great.

One very important thing is, when your gi comes home dirty...throw it to wash IMMEDIATLY.

Fill the machine(with Cold water, or that Proforce is going to shrink) , throw in the tide and let it sit for a while.

You May want to try hot water on those areas, but it does shrink the Gi..

Otherwise...take it to a professional dry cleaner, and see if they have any secret chemicals.