• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need a New Karate Dogi Jacket

cocomonk22

Hey all, the pants of my black middleweight KB-11 Shuriedo dogi fit, but the jacket does not. I'm not sure of the oz. weight of the jacket so I'm not sure how to compare it to other dogi in weight. This is one of the dogi where the color fades to sort of a 'stone-washed' look quickly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, light weight is considered 6 oz.

middleweight is anywhere from 7 to 10 oz.

and heavyweight is considered 12 to 14 oz.

i think this is what you're looking for?

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Well, i know this is rather obvious but look at the tags. if you've already done this, then i'd search the web for the jacket you have, once you find it, it should be in the description what weight it is. i think that would be your best bet.

you might be able to search the KB-11 online and you'll probably find out how much it weighs in one of the descriptions. i'd look myself but im on my way out to teach a seminar. good luck! :karate:

Shureido calls the KB-11 a middle weight gi, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily compare to anyone else's middle weight. I don't remember ever seeing a KB-11, and it's been years since I've seen a KW-11 (the white version), but if I were to guess, I'd say it might have been around 9 oz, give or take an oz. Actually, I'm so UNSURE that you should probably ignore that number.

Anyway, matching a top from one company to pants from another can be tricky, even without having to deal with black mottling. One thing about Shureido gis is that they have very nice material. Generally, their cloth has a smooth, tight weave. You can't match that without paying for it.

If you care about your top matching your pants, I'd recommend sticking with Shureido. If it's not a big deal, get whatever your comfortable with.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com