• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Technical adivse on Yoo Sin

I have been working on my form, Yoo Sin hyung, and have been picking out some things with trying to improve my hip movement in the techniques.

After the opening move, the bear hug break and elbows/punches over the shoulders, and I get into the knifehand blocks/punches.....I am trying to put a bit of hip into the knifehand blocks, by twisting the hip of the blocking side forward a bit, into the block. Likewise on the other side. Does this sound good, or does anyone have any other suggestions here?

When I step off to the 45 degree angles, and do the outside block, I can get pretty good hip into that movement with the step. In TKD, our body stays squared to the front in the front stance, and doesn't open up like it might in Karate. When I go into the scoop block with the other hand, the body stays facing the angle, and I kind of twist/circle my hips with the scoop block, snapping it into place. I can do this with my legs locked in the front stance, but I have also found that by doing a slight knee bend with the back leg while performing the block and twisting the hips, I may get a bit more snap into it, upon straightening the leg when completing the block. Does anyone else think that the knee bend is a good idea to add power, along with the hip rotation? I think it is kind of a Karate aspect, at least from what I have read in some of the Karate texts that I have.

How do some of y'all do this part of the form? Or moves similar to these in other forms? I don't do the sine wave, and I have seen some of the sine wave performers practically dip to the floor when performing the scooping block. I don't prefer the sine wave that much; at least not to that extreme. But any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do not know this form, so I am basing my comments on this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9UWtQ7IcCw

Yes the hip movement you describe sounds good. There are some forms I have know where the stance calls for a bent knee twisted back stance. Some people have called this a broken bow stance.

Thank you for not doing the sine wave. It is over rated and will take away the true beauty of the form.

Master Colby

When I went on a M. Hwang Ho Yong seminar in January, he said that sine wave was especially important on the scooping block. Your arm itself does not rise a great deal but the entire torso through rising in the stance. He said it was much stronger not to use your arm but to use your core, your whole upper body, to put mass behind the scoop.

And anyway Brian, if I get your second description, it appears that in essence you are doing what sine wave is supposed to be if done correctly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My form does not look like the one in the vid posted by Master Steve Colby. I don't dip like that on the scooping blocks, nor do I put so much space between movements.

I don't really claim to do the sine wave, unless I use it, and don't know it. And if I don't know it, then it must be just a very little bit that it is used.

Thanks for the points, both of you. :karate:

Well, I try to do it correctly, as near as I can tell. I just don't want all of my power coming from my arms; I want the hip motion in there, too. With some of the techniques, where I don't readily feel the hip motion, I have to slow it down to work it out. Now, I am in the process of speeding it up.

I worked on it a bit tonight, and when I go faster, I think I slip on the hip motion, and I am trying to negate that.

My form does not look like the one in the vid posted by Master Steve Colby. I don't dip like that on the scooping blocks, nor do I put so much space between movements.

O ok nevermind, I probably read your description wrong.

I don't think there is a totally right way or a wrong way to do things. If you feel you get more power from hip action then that is right for you. Good luck with the rest of the form :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I tell my students to have their hands complete the technique the instant they finish their stance, which is why you are finding more power by straightening your leg at the end. It sounds like you are on the right path.

Well, I try to do it correctly, as near as I can tell. I just don't want all of my power coming from my arms; I want the hip motion in there, too. With some of the techniques, where I don't readily feel the hip motion, I have to slow it down to work it out. Now, I am in the process of speeding it up.

I worked on it a bit tonight, and when I go faster, I think I slip on the hip motion, and I am trying to negate that.

All power comes from the ground. While many techniques are taught as if the power comes from the hips, the hips are able to generate power because support from the legs into the ground. What JW is saying is correct, but take that further.... the energy begins at the point of grounding to the ground, it then travels through the legs, to the hips, then to the upper body, finally to the point where the technique ends.

If you think about each technique as beginning at the ground, you may discover new ways of thinking about how power is generated.

Master Colby