• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice for training technique please

I looked through the search function for something on this subject that I know has been beat to death (no pun intented) but couldn't find anything and please forgive me if I make this long. I will also try not to confuse anyone with my jabbering. I'm 5'6" with a pretty short reach. Our tournaments are point sparring. In my division all of the guys I compete against are 6'4" and taller. There are a few guys in my class that are this tall and when I spar with them in class I can really work on throwing different combos and techniques while at the same time, of course, working on throwing these combos faster and more crisp around their longer reach. I know speed is key and in my own time I should really focus on speed drills, but does anyone have any helpful ideas of drills or anything else that I can work on by myself that will help me focus on throwing combos BUT while also "working" on throwing them as if fighting a taller person with a longer reach? For instance, I can work on my speed by standing at my bag and throwing a back fist, reverse punch, then a back leg roundhouse kick. But it’s a different story when I try to do those combos against someone with a much longer reach. I'm just trying to get some ideas for any training techniques I can do on my on that would help me throw better combos against someone with a longer reach. Again, I know speed is key but I didn’t know if anyone had any ideas. Again, sorry for the long read. Thanks.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

work on their sides... like when he throws a punch with his right hand you block or move to the left around his punch cause now you can work him at this angle, he will have a harder time coming square with you doing that.. personally, I love sparring with tall people! :D

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Work on throwing a long front snap kick where when you kick you lean back extending your hip more giving you more reach. Keep mobile staying on your toes and consistently moving off in angles left and right to create opening. I am 6 4 myself...

As you said, speed is key. Having the ability to quickly exploit an opening left by your opponent will help against opponents of any size. As Throwdown0850 said, work on side stepping your opponent's attacks (I definitely need to work on my side-stepping). Also, focus on counter-striking. So, when your opponent strikes, you side step (avoid the attack) and then attack the area(s) he briefly left bare when he punched/kicked/etc.

Hope this will helps.

Ed

Ed

The side-stepping is a good idea. It is great for the footwork. It will help you to avoid attakcs while at the same time gaining some ground on your opponent, as opposed to blocking and backing up.

Thank you all for your replies. Does anyone know of where I might can find some good video footage of side step examples for fighting? I understand what it is but I like to actually see something at work so I can have a better idea in my head of what I'm trying to do. Thanks again.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6