• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does Kai become easier with experience

Eager To Learn

I have recently joined a Local Karate Club and I am really enjoying it and trying to get to grips with all the various blocks, strikes and Kata involved.

I was just wondering if Kaiing becomes easier with experience as when going through the motions i find myself concetrating more on hand / body position and as such when it comes to the Kai I seem to let out a pathetic wimper rather than full war cry :x

Is this something that comes with time as I am struggling to find a "natural" kai and find myself imitating the person next to me which can be rather embarrassing at times :P

any advice welcome !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At one point in time our whole club was doing weak little half-hearted kiai's, and generally only at the points in kata when they are required.

We had a very senior Sensei visit us and he really cracked down on that nonsense. He gave us a lot of information on the intent and meaning of kiai on various techniques, how it can help with power, disrupt an opponent's technique, etc. After that, the whole club started bellowing very enthusiastically in lots of different areas, and it really changed the atmosphere in the dojo. It helped people focus and really put a lot of spirit into things.

Personally, I seem to have developed two different kiai, one is a 2-syllable noise like "ee-saw!" that I use when there's a significant windup and delivery, like on a shuto strike. The other is very short and sharp, just an "ei!" noise for basic quick strikes like punches and elbows.

My instructor informed us that a good kiai comes from the diaphram. If you kiai from the neck you will know. If it is an issue of concentrating on the movements before the kiai then it will come with practice of said kata. Once the kata is set in to muscle memory then you can focus on the kiai involved.

You don't want to find yourself "thinking" about your kiai. You just want it to flow out when it is necessary. It is often awkward for beginning students to kiai (at least it appears that way). I think they worry about whether they are doing it "right" and/or if they sound odd.

1) Don't think about it too much. Do kiai during class, but foremost in your mind should be learning your new techniques. You will develop your Kiai over time.

2) Second, don't worry about how it sounds. I have heard some odd-sounding kiais from time-to-time, some of which were mine. If you worry about how it sounds you will, more than likely, end up making some odd noises yourself.

All this being said, I don't like weak kiais from my students. To me it shows a lack of spirit. However, I make exceptions for beginners because they are in a new environment, around new people, learning a lot of new things, and out of their comfort zone.

Ed

Ed

It is not something that comes natural to everyone. We spend most of our lives being told to be somewhat quiet, and to never yell or shout unless we have a reason to. That is why kiaing is hard for so many to get into. It passes with time.

The first time I did a kiai, I was quite quiet also. I find it's more getting out of your comfort zone. There are times when I'm the only one in the class doing the kiai during katas because I will be doing fukyugata while other people are doing higher ones. I figure just let it out. Sooner or later someone else will be doing it by their self also. And it's more impressing to your sensei to do a good loud kiai than a kiai he can barely hear.

When I first started I either was really quite or did just mouthed it (so not at all) now I find I do it all the time exspecially with hard techniques and in my katas I do a real intense one an in class when we do drills I find some times I am the only one doing it, so the answer is yes it will get easier.

It is very natural to be hyper sensative to the sound you are making, how you make it, etc because it is a new thing for your body to be doing. psychologically your body is use to making these so called 'war cries' and its shocked(because think of how many times you ki hap in a one hour class). but anyways, dont worry about it and you will develop a natural one, just like everyone has said. but from and Instructor's standpoint, i don't like it when my student's dont participate in ki hap-ing. and when they do ki hap, well and with spirit i certainly take notice, so trick your mind into thinking it has to, to impress your sensei, that's how i thought about it, then it came naturally. good luck.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

This is a good question. Some people do find it hard at first, or more so embarrassing. When the newbies come into our club (mainly kids) they hate kiaing because they are shy. If you are just not doing it very well and concentrating to much on your moves thats not such a bad thing because it will come with time.

I love Kiaing it helps me with my Karate and with confidence you tend to do it more and more. In our dojo we have to Kiai in the right places in Kata (normally two) and on the third move of each combination or technique...but i find myself just letting one out from time to time, the good thing is it doesnt bother anyone else cos we all in the same boat. :lol:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk