• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do we define "Master"?

I've noticed over time the meaning of "Master" has seemed to me to become a bit dispersed. I'm curious what students today think a "Master" is?

About 35 or so years ago I was in a foreign country and I and 2-3 other guys set up MA classes and taught. No big deal, we just taught what we knew. We moved on.

Today I see a website in that country and I'm referred to as a "Master", a "GREAT Grand Master" and a "legend". This really made me stop and think. I mean, I put my pants on one leg at a time just like any other guy. About all I see I've achieved is to survive to old age, and to have had a lot of fun playing MAs over these past 51 years. ( I still get my old Gi out sometimes just to see if I can still get it on.) I never thought of myself as a "Master", rather just a guy who likes to have fun, maybe teach a little if someone needs something and so on.

So how is a "Master" defined? Does it mean he can do no wrong, i.e. he's a saint of some sort? That he is perfect in all his moves? (Yeah, as if) or that he is simply the oldest living member of a particular school? How do you think we should define this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think any body can really be a "master", I just think that someone can be really really really good, thats all... because I always understood a "master" as someone who is unbeatable or nearly unbeatable.. with the UFC stuff going these days, it looks like those guys could beat any "master".. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I can see what you mean if that is going to be our definition of "Master". However is fighting the highest level we can achieve in MAs? Is there anything else we can look forward to if we stay in training for many years?

I think that's why I posed this question, so we can end up, hopefully with a way of defining this part of the art. Everywhere I look in the phone book I see everyone in town seems to be either a master or grand Master or great grand master. But what do they have in common that allows them to use their titles? (Other than just ego)

i don't think there's a need to read too deeply into the definition to a master. i just simply think it is a title given to those who have spent a great deal of time in their art, or arts. obviously one who dedicates their life, so that, they achieve a master's rank has given up a good portion of their life to martial arts and must be of some impressive skill, not perfection but a very strong ability. in my school, the title of master is given along with your 4th degree black belt(or master's black belt). to even be eligible to become a 4th degree master, you must have been in the art for atleast 13 years, it is usually much more. but there are those with inept ability and time to spare that have no missed a single grading.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I believe a true master is near the top ranks of the style, knows most of it, has contributed to it, devoted himself to it, is one of the best in the world at it, and above call, can effectively teach it. Notice I didn't add 'and who invented it'. From what I've seen in my lifetime, they're rarely real masters.

Like NEKyoSa, I think it simply means that someone has mastered the art in which they train. I think that this mastering goes deeper than just the physical moves/techniques to include the art's mental and spiritual aspects, provided that the art makes room in its curriculum for training in these areas.

Ed

Edited by KarateEd

Ed

I believe a true master is near the top ranks of the style, knows most of it, has contributed to it, devoted himself to it, is one of the best in the world at it, and above call, can effectively teach it. Notice I didn't add 'and who invented it'. From what I've seen in my lifetime, they're rarely real masters.

I agree, someone who can effectively teach it.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think that the fact that you found out about this description of yourself in this manner expresses a lot about what a Master is. If you name yourself Master, I think it kind of distills the meaning. However, you have been fortunate enough to be described, unbeknownst to yourself, as a Master by a group of peers and/or students who think you are worthy of the title. I congratulate you on this. You have impacted some lives in a valuable way, I believe.

As for how a Master is defined...I think that this is tricky. There are so many things that can come into play; physical abilities, teaching abilities, achievements and accolades; there is so much out there that can be used as credentials. It really depends on what the people you impacted view as the Master credentials.

For the most part, I think you have to consider two things: a considerable knowledge base of your particular field of study/style, and a considerable amount of experience to go along with it.

Now, experience is another tricky word. What kind of experience? Teaching? Or fighting? Or just an allotted time requirement? It is really kind of hard to break it apart, I think. Not all of us are going to get into a ton of fights, but does that mean that we can't be named Masters? I guess tournament competition could come into play, but not everyone excells in this field, either (like myself, for example :P ). Likewise, just filling a time requirement doesn't seem right, either.

Another consideration may be contribution to the Martial Arts in general, in many different forms. All in all, it could get difficult to put a finger on.

I am not so sure I answered the question very well...I don't know if I could answer it accurately.

I think that a master title should be given only to the most senior instructor with the most experience in teaching. Unfortunatley, I see so many young people giving themselves "Master" title and believe it is used for the sole purpose to get students in the doors. My instructor is a 7th Dan in his style and he doesn't take on the title Master. I believe he does that because he still feels he hasnt mastered his style yet, even after all these years.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.