• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan - Throws

granitemiller

I agree Brian. Take downs can be done in many different ways, from a sweep or more complex. They don't seem to be as violent, to me they seem to be more controlled. When we do throws i don't like it because if i land in a funny way it hurts my neck and head.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Also, keep in mind the difference between a throw and a takedown. A lot of what I see in Judo I would consider throws, becuase you are really peeling a guy from the ground. I think you can incorporate a lot of takedowns as well, where you brace one or both of the opponent's feet, and then break their balance and trip them. A takedown doesn't seem as "violent" to me as a throw does.

I agree but, also kinda disagree cause if I needed to defend my self I would throw rather than a take down cause the opponent is going to the same place, the ground, and with a throw, sometimes its enough.. I assumed you was talking about a self-defense situation since you mentioned the word "violent"..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yeah, I think you are on to what I am saying, Throwdown.

A guess I view a throw as something that comes more over the hip, really bringing the opponent off of his feet, and over that fulcrum. A takedown, I look more at taking the opponents feet out from under them, even if it is a violent sweeping motion.

I suppose they could all be called throws. Just depends on how you view it, I guess.

Thinking about the throws and takedowns, here is my input:

I have used takedowns (where the opponent was tripped) twice in real-life confrontations. It was fast, and each attacker landed on their butts. While they got back up, they were much more hesitant to continue which I took to my advantage.

The throws (lifting their feet off the ground, throwing over the hip) is much more violent and destructive, the person getting thrown would have a much harder time getting up, if they could get up. But it seems that it takes the right situation, ie you are in a clinch or close enough to clinch, to execute.

If I could chose I would prefer a throw because you can really inflict damage.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

If I could chose I would prefer a throw because you can really inflict damage.

I can't really disagree with you here. However, it often comes down to what is given to you, as opposed to what you would like to do. Good to know both.

• 3 months later...

In the back of Master Funakoshi's book Karate do Kyhoan (sp) he goes though several.

Remember Master Funakoshi trained and studied with Master Kano the founder of Judo. So you could look into some Judo schools for your answer as well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."