• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan - Throws

granitemiller

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The first place you should check that is through your school or orginization. Different orginizations are going to give different lists. In "Karate-Do Kyohan," Funakoshi's Master Text, there are a few throws in the back of the book. But it's not meant to be a complete list.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There is no official syllabus for Shoto, as there are thousands of different Shoto-based schools around the world. One school will do kata one way, another school will do it another way. The style of karate you practise is the instructor's style of karate. If that includes throws then great.

Does anyone know if there is an official list of Shotokan throws?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

I could be wrong but I dont know if there is actually a list of "shotokan" throws.. but if your looking to learn more on them, then try Jujutsu or judo.. besides if there is "shotokan" throws, they probably derived from Jujutsu.. pretty much all throws are the same... :) hope this helps.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Iain Abernethy's website may be a good place to look into it. He does a lot of work on Karate Bunkai, and shows were some throws and takedowns appear in kata. He may give the names as he goes along, but I am not so sure that he just lists a bunch of throws.

If you want to experience how to throw (and be thrown) correctly, then do some training with people who know the "soft" arts like Judo, Jujutsu and Aikido.

Throws are great, but need a lot of work in order for you to understand how they work, and how they can be applied to your Karate.

I think trying to do that from books or the Internet is hard, as it is very difficult to understand what for example, the breaking of an opponents "Shisei" (or body posture) actually feels like, until you have had it done to you.

Without this, I think you would struggle to import this effectively into your Karate.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I am going through Iain Abernethy's website, and wow, what a great site! Thanks for the recommendation.

All the throws we do come from Judo, and kept the Judo name for the throw. I also learned that my instructor's instructor was a black belt in Judo, and incorporated five throws into our curriculum.

Thank you all for the comments and advice!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

I am going through Iain Abernethy's website, and wow, what a great site! Thanks for the recommendation.

All the throws we do come from Judo, and kept the Judo name for the throw. I also learned that my instructor's instructor was a black belt in Judo, and incorporated five throws into our curriculum.

Thank you all for the comments and advice!

see. :) all the throws are the come from the same "place" ..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Also, keep in mind the difference between a throw and a takedown. A lot of what I see in Judo I would consider throws, becuase you are really peeling a guy from the ground. I think you can incorporate a lot of takedowns as well, where you brace one or both of the opponent's feet, and then break their balance and trip them. A takedown doesn't seem as "violent" to me as a throw does.