• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai / Bassai Sho

marmaduke

Excuse my spelling. I am familiar with Bassai Dia. Bassai Sho is new to me. I occasionally run into it on the internet. Is this a normal "train as you get there" Kata or is this not used very often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read a book which stated that Bassai Dai had 14 Neck Break techniques in it. I honestly can't see where they are, but maybe that's because I am only upto Pinan Yodan and in my particular school I this is a Black Belt Kata.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Both Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho are considered upper level kata, typically brown-black belt.

These forms are practiced in many Japanese and Korean styles. It was originally taught as a defense against a Bo staff, but Bunkai can have many different meanings to the movements.

Master Itosu (one of Master Funakoshi's instructors) is believed to have divided the original Bassai form into two, the "sho" (meaning small) and the "dai" (meaning great). If you learn Bassai-sho after learning Bassai-dai, you will see the similarities.

I have seen both katas at tournaments, even being used by Korean Tang So Doo, so it is a widely used kata.

Enjoy the kata!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

Both Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho are considered upper level kata, typically brown-black belt.

These forms are practiced in many Japanese and Korean styles. It was originally taught as a defense against a Bo staff, but Bunkai can have many different meanings to the movements.

Master Itosu (one of Master Funakoshi's instructors) is believed to have divided the original Bassai form into two, the "sho" (meaning small) and the "dai" (meaning great). If you learn Bassai-sho after learning Bassai-dai, you will see the similarities.

I have seen both katas at tournaments, even being used by Korean Tang So Doo, so it is a widely used kata.

Enjoy the kata!

I'm familiar with the weapon defense bunkai in Passai Sho (Itosu no) and Dai(Matsumura no), but also as anti-sword, not just Bo.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Bassai Dai is our brown belt kata, it is used for gradings in all three brown belt gradings, including the 1st Dan grade (as well as other kata's). I have practised Bassai Sho and i really like it, although i so sometimes get mixed up with some of the turns and hand movements. I think if you know this kata properly it's awesome and a brilliant kata to know.

We have a BO course coming up in our club soon and we will be doing Bassai Sho and i can't wait for that. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

Can no-one advise where abouts these 14 neck breaks are in this Kata. PM me if you do not wish to add the details on the thread. Note, I may be a Kyu Grade in Wado Ryu, but I am an Instructor in Ashihara Karate.

osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)